3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 7:34 AM by TSGal

New To FileMaker Pro v. 9 - Question

DoubleD

Title

New To FileMaker Pro v. 9 - Question

I am a newbie when it comes to Filemaker Pro V.9. Here is what I am requiring:

A database that is able to be connected to my webhost MySQL server

A database capable of supporting unlimited number of users who may need to login to search for information stored in the database.

The front end is a website that I am building, which will provide unique visitors with helpful how-to legal advice. Unique visitors who want to register can get access to free premium information as long as they are registered.  

Which is why I need to have a solution that provides unlimited number of users to login to the site and access the database.

Thank you for any suggestions and answers.

• 1. Re: New To FileMaker Pro v. 9 - Question
          TSGal

DoubleD:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro can connect to a remote database.  However, it sounds like you want your remote database to connect to FileMaker Pro.  Can you be a little more specific?

FileMaker Pro Server can support 250 users and 125 databases files.  It is not unlimited.

You may want to look at FileMaker Pro Server Advanced, which will allow you to link your database to the web.  In the database, you can keep a table of logins and what rights each login has.

For more information about FileMaker Pro Server and Server Advanced, please see our web site:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fms/index.html?nav=products-server

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: New To FileMaker Pro v. 9 - Question
            DoubleD

Thank you for your helpful answer. Yes, I am looking for a solution that will allow visitors to our website to register and then access the premium information on the site.

I was wondering whether the server version of Filemaker database can be uploaded or exported to my webhost's MySQL database so that it can run from there? rather than running it through Filemaker itself?

One more question, does the FileMaker Server version come with the ability generate the necessary connection strings to my WebHost's MySQL database?

Thank you very much for your help and answering my questions.

• 3. Re: New To FileMaker Pro v. 9 - Question
              TSGal

DoubleD:

Thank you for the clarification.

Do you really need FileMaker?  It sounds like you want everything to run on your webhost's MySQL database.  Why not run the registration information in MySQL?

Yes, FileMaker Pro can do the registration portion.  However, if you want to run everything on MySQL after that, you would have to export the information.  However, FileMaker does have web publishing capabilities using PHP, XML and XSLT.  You can also use FileMaker Pro as a data source using ODBC driver.

I hope this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.