3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 7:26 AM by philmodjunk

New to Filemaker, few questions!

NeilScrivener

Title

New to Filemaker, few questions!

Hello Everyone!

I am very new to Filemaker, and finding it slightly harder than expected. I'm a bit of an excel whizz, but these formulas seem a bit harder, and are far less instant!

A chap called Guy Stevens has been very helpful, and has a great Youtube - but to save burdoning him I thought I'd ask here too.

So what I'm looking to do is a hire rental inventory, and I've a few questions;

Question 1

A lot of the items I hire tend to be in 'kits'. So a "2-Way Speaker Kit" may comprise of; 

2 x Speakers

2 x Cables

1 x Case

Of course, when I produce and equipment list, I don't want to have to select, or even see the components of the kit list - I just want to see the Kits, and have Filemaker automatically add the components. However these will be required to be displayed at the Preparation List.

Currently, what I have is an Equipment table with the following fields;

- ID (a serial)

- Item (the description of the item)

- Composite? (a yes/no option for what the item is)

- Discipline

- Category

- Day Price

- Days per Week

- Weight

- Quantity Owned.

I was assuming that the best idea would be to have the items I don't want to see with a 'Yes' next to the "Composite?" box, and then find some kind of filter to see and hide these?

Any advice/opinions/ideas on how to attach the composites to the item etc.

Question 2

Because this is a rental system, the number of items available is of course dependent on the dates.

Any tips for setting up this kind of system too, and good ideas/tricks etc.

I'm happy to learn, but even some of the Youtubes lost me a bit, so need a bit of help!

Cheers

Neil