AnsweredAssumed Answered

New to Filemaker, few questions!

Question asked by NeilScrivener on Feb 9, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

New to Filemaker, few questions!

Hello Everyone!

I am very new to Filemaker, and finding it slightly harder than expected. I'm a bit of an excel whizz, but these formulas seem a bit harder, and are far less instant!

A chap called Guy Stevens has been very helpful, and has a great Youtube - but to save burdoning him I thought I'd ask here too.

So what I'm looking to do is a hire rental inventory, and I've a few questions;

Question 1

A lot of the items I hire tend to be in 'kits'. So a "2-Way Speaker Kit" may comprise of; 

2 x Speakers

2 x Cables

1 x Case

Of course, when I produce and equipment list, I don't want to have to select, or even see the components of the kit list - I just want to see the Kits, and have Filemaker automatically add the components. However these will be required to be displayed at the Preparation List.

Currently, what I have is an Equipment table with the following fields;

- ID (a serial)

- Item (the description of the item)

- Composite? (a yes/no option for what the item is)

- Discipline

- Category

- Day Price

- Days per Week

- Weight

- Quantity Owned.

I was assuming that the best idea would be to have the items I don't want to see with a 'Yes' next to the "Composite?" box, and then find some kind of filter to see and hide these?

Any advice/opinions/ideas on how to attach the composites to the item etc.

Question 2

Because this is a rental system, the number of items available is of course dependent on the dates.

Any tips for setting up this kind of system too, and good ideas/tricks etc.

I'm happy to learn, but even some of the Youtubes lost me a bit, so need a bit of help!

Cheers

Neil

Outcomes