9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 1:03 PM by philmodjunk

New to Filemaker, Help Please

ChristopherAtkinson

Title

New to Filemaker, Help Please

Hi Everyone,

I have a master table of zipcodes that i have already created. On a daily basis i get files with Name and full postal (including zipcode).

Once i create a table with these files i want to run a script of some sort that matches the zipcodes from the master table to the new table created and output a report with name and full postal of those records that match and from there download this report to an excel document.

I am new to filemaker and i have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance

Chris

• 1. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
          philmodjunk

With relational databases, you don't need to run a script to match values in one table to values in another. Instead, you create a relationship that links your two tables.

ImportTable::Zipcode = MasterZipcodeTable::Zipcode

You can create this in Manage | Database | Relationships by dragging from the zipcode field in one table to the zipcode table in the other.

Then you can perform a find for all records in ImportTable that have matching records in MasterZipcodeTable.

1. Place the MasterZipcodeTable::Zipcode field on the ImportTable layout.
          2. Enter find mode (return to browse mode and click the find button)
          3. Enter an asterisk (*) into this field
          4. Perform the find (click the perform find button)

As new as your are to FileMaker and databases, you'll want to invest some time in some tutorials and possibly a book on the subject to help you gain a better understanding of how this works.

• 2. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
            ChristopherAtkinson

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your instructions. I had already done everything to linking the tables together, however when i get to running the perform find i am running into problems. 

I select the Masterzipcode layout. All the zips int he master file show up. I then click find and put an * in the zipcode field when i select perform find it just gives me all the Zipcodes again

What i want to happen is that it gives me the records from the ImportTable that have zip codes that match those in the MasterZip Table

Can you help me out here.

As for your advice on getting tutorials i agree with you but im just trying to se first if this software will do the type of tasks that i will need it for before i invest further into it

Thanks again for your help and in advance for your future help. It is much appreciated

• 3. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
              philmodjunk

Check my directions again.

1. Place the MasterZipcodeTable::Zipcode field on the ImportTable layout.
              2. Enter find mode (return to browse mode and click the find button)

This find has to be peformed on the ImportTable layout, not the MasterZipcode layout.

• 4. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
                ChristopherAtkinson

OK i changed to the Imported table layout. When i click find and put * in the zip field and perform the find it loads all the leads inthe import table file and not just the ones that match the zip code

Let me know if am missing something here

Again i really appreciate the help on this

• 5. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
                  philmodjunk

Look at step one again.

You need to add the zipcode field from the Master zipcode table to the layout for the import table.

1. Enter layout mode.
                  2. Drag from the field tool at the top of your screen to your Import Table layout
                  3. Select your Masterzipcode table from the drop down at the top of the dialog that pops up.
                  4. Double click the zipcode field from this table.

This field, will be empty if there is no matching record in MasterZipcode. Entering Find Mode and typing an asterisk in this field finds all records that have at least one character in this field. Thus, this finds all records in ImportTable that have a matching record in MasterZipcode.

• 6. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
                    ChristopherAtkinson

Oh perfect that works perfectly

Final question, how do i download these results to lets s ay an excel document

• 7. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
                      philmodjunk

In the File Menu, you have an option titled Save Send Records as... | Excel

• 8. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
                        ChristopherAtkinson

Thanks a million

This software seems very user friendly and straight forward once you get to know it all

Do you have any recommendations on the tutorials that might be of assistance to me in the future?

• 9. Re: New to Filemaker, Help Please
                          philmodjunk

Not really, I've been using FileMaker for so many years that I only have recent experience with one book: Master The Essentials of FileMaker 11 (FileMaker Training Series). There's also a book called FileMaker, the Missing Manual that others have recommended.  With books, I suggest looking them up on a site such as Amazon where you can read the reader reviews as each is written for a different "audience" and you'll need to gauge which one is best for you.

There are also tutorials available on YouTube, I'm told.