AnsweredAssumed Answered

New to FileMaker- help please

Question asked by NateBerges on Jan 27, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

New to FileMaker- help please

Hi everyone!
Small background on myself. Vice President here at Berges Trenton Awning Inc. I'm the fourth generation and our business is celebrating 85 years in business. With that said, our business is a bit outdated in many ways. Recently I did a large overhaul to paperless statements, estimates, etc. Now I'm on my way to update our 1988 (yes- not a typo) DOS program my grandfather created back at Radio Shack when they had courses Surprised
FileMaker Pro looks like the answer to all my worries though. I started messing with the program and some things make sense, while other parts are beyond me still.
Here's what we are looking for the program to do:
A) Sort and organize our 1500+ customer data base. This is probably the simplest task for FMP at the moment and I'm sure the excel forms will transfer over without issue, already started using that.
B) Along with addresses, phone numbers, and the usual, we need to have a checklist or automated way of locating all their awnings once they are in our possession and stored in our facility.
C) I also need to figure out how to create and use check boxes for simple "yes" and "no" inquiries we have about customers.
D) I need to have this up and running full steam by April when our hang season hits, our DOS programming is losing it's touch by the day and we're in need of a refresh so we can continue to keep up with the demand.

I included a quick screenshot of my biggest need. I started in the invoice template as that's where I felt it'd be best. Once everything is organized, we'll definitely be using invoicing for our customers through FMP. I added the text needed, but I'm looking to add two boxes we can fill manually in year after year. Both will be to the right of the item names. One will be Quantity and the next will read Location. i.e. - How many awnings and where can we find them?

We'll start here and possibly once I learn these items I'll be able to move forward on my own.

Thanks for any help provided! 
-Nate 

Outcomes