1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 11:52 AM by philmodjunk

New To FM PRO With Questions On Creating A Contacts Database

AngeloParedes

Title

New To FM PRO With Questions On Creating A Contacts Database

Hello future people i'm going to be so thankful for,

We just started up a new gallery, and we're working on getting filemaker pro soon.  I'm using the trial version for the time being to get things set for when i get the full version.  someone emailed me their contacts list that's already in an fp7 format.  after getting them imported into FM, i came across some problems i desperately need to resolve. 

there are two major concerns i need to fix:

for one,  in the layout that was already used, (which i like) they made one field box that displays the city state and zipcode all in one box.  i need them all to be seperate.  luckily, i already have boxes for state and zipcode, but i don't have one for city.  ive tried countless ways of trying to get a new box to display the city in it, but every time i try to import the info to it, it says "this option could not be completed because the target is not part of a related table."  i just need to get three boxes for city, state, and zipcode!

second, is there a way to get an auto time stamp to let me know when a contact was updated?  i'm seeing time stamps that i have to manually adjust, but is there one that will automatically do it?

if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.  i have over 4,000 contacts and i will go insane if i have to manually fix this problem one by one. 

Picture_1.png

• 1. Re: New To FM PRO With Questions On Creating A Contacts Database
          philmodjunk

"ive tried countless ways of trying to get a new box to display the city in it, but every time i try to import the info to it, it says "this option could not be completed because the target is not part of a related table."  i just need to get three boxes for city, state, and zipcode!"

Unfortunately, we don't know what "countless ways" you've tried and been unable to get to work. How is the data formatted in the Citystatezip field? Something like this?   San Francisco, CA 99999

If so, you can create a calculation that extracts the city (or either of the other two parts) from this field to store in a City text field. If this is for a one time only import of data where you'll be entering new contacts directly, I'd use Replace field Contents with this expression: Trim ( Left ( YourTable::CityStateZip ; Position ( YourTable::CityStateZip ; "," ; 1 ; 1 ) - 1 ) ) to move just the City into the city text field.

1. Place City and CityStateZip on the same layout.
          2. Choose Show All Records
          3. Click or tab into the City field
          4. Select Replace Field Contents from the Records menu, select the calculation option and enter the above calculation
          5. Perform the replace.

Two caveats:

Replace field contents will modify every record in your found set. It's a safe practice to make a back up copy just before you try it out. That way you can toss your file and try again if you get unintended results.

This method assumes consistent use of a comma after the city's name. Since the original data was hand entered, it's very possible that some records have errors, such as a missing comma that will keep this method from working on every single record. You'll need to perform a find for all records where city is empty after doing the replace so that you can fix this smaller group of records manually. (To find a record with an empty field, enter = into that field while in Find Mode.)

second, is there a way to get an auto time stamp to let me know when a contact was updated?  i'm seeing time stamps that i have to manually adjust, but is there one that will automatically do it?

In Manage | Database | Fields, deifne a field of type Time Stamp. Select Options and specify a Modification time stamp option for the field. Now, everytime someone edits a field in the record, the current date and time from the computer's system clock will be entered automatically into this field.