1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 6:15 AM by ArtL

New to FM wants to import new information

RobMcCartney

Title

New to FM wants to import new information

Sorry, if this seems really basic.

We have a current database that houses subscribers records. Due to new post office standards we need to populate a new field that has been added. And I need help getting the information back into our database. Here is what we have to do to get the information:

I will export roughly 1000 records with there unique ID into an excel file. I will send the Excel file to a 3rd party company to get the information we need added to the spread sheet. They will than send back the spread sheet with the new information.

This is where I'm become confused on how to get the information back into the database and entered in the correct record. Its something we will probably have to do every 90 days so the process also has to be willing to write over the one field that might already have data in it.

Any guide or advise would be helpful. 

--Rob

• 1. Re: New to FM wants to import new information
          ArtL

Hi Rob,

Getting information into the database is relatively easy.

Create your new field.

Export the files with the new field to a spreadsheet and add in the new data.

You need to have your fields in the spreadsheet match the fields in your db records.  So, try to have the columns in your spreadsheet in the same order as those in your database.  If you don't, that is not a big issue and can be worked around.

Once you have the spreadsheet, go to:

FILE

---- Import Records

--------File

and select the spreadsheet information you wish to import.

Match the fields you want to bring in, to the fields in your db. In your case, it will could be only the NEW field or if you delete the Found Set in your database you can import all the old data and the new new added field or fields at this time.

Press import.

This is the general outline on how to do it.  It is not complicated. 

If the fields do not match, you can use your cursor to move the fields up and down until they do, make sure the arrow connects the fields before you press import.

If the first line of the spreadsheet has a header, check the box so you don't import that line.

Happy to guide you through it further if this isn't sufficient.