3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 12:42 PM by philmodjunk

New to FM: Need help building an inventory database/online reservation system

IanMcKee

Title

New to FM: Need help building an inventory database/online reservation system

I work for the film department at my university. When the last guy left he didn't leave any system in place for checking in/out equipment and online reservations. After talking to some other schools I was pointed to FM Pro 11. I have never used it and am wondering if (1) it's the right program for the job and (2) how to go about using it for my purposes. I'm somewhat computer literate, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks!

Ian

• 1. Re: New to FM: Need help building an inventory database/online reservation system
          philmodjunk

FileMaker can do it, but can you do it with FileMaker?

FileMaker is a developer tool for creating database solutions and such a "lending library" type system can be done. There's even a "starting point" solution file that comes with fileMaker by that name that you may be able to adapt to your uses.

"Somewhat computer literate" suggests you should prepare to invest time in learning about databases in general and FileMaker in particular. There are on line tutorials you can purchase as well as books on FileMaker. You are also welcome to post specific questions here.

FileMaker Inc. has a 30 day free trial download available, you may want to download it and take a closer look at what you are getting involved in.

• 2. Re: New to FM: Need help building an inventory database/online reservation system
            IanMcKee

I think I can. Is lending library a starter template? Is there a specific book or tutorial you would recommend?

As for the trial, the department has already purchased the software, it was dropped in my lap this morning. I just didn't want to get halfway through making a database of our equipment (thousands of pieces) only to find I should've used a different database type. Also, I have equipment kits (with many pieces) can I input these as one kit with a list of the pieces, or should I enter them seperately and then tie them together afterwards (is this possible)?

Thanks for the help Phil!

• 3. Re: New to FM: Need help building an inventory database/online reservation system
              philmodjunk

Yes lending library is a starter template.

I can't really recomend a book I haven't read for myself. I've been using FileMaker since FileMaker 2.1 so am self taught in the specifics of Filemaker. You can go to Amazon, however and check out reader reviews to get a feel for what each book has to offer.