1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 2:08 PM by philmodjunk

New to FMP Help with relationships between tables, pop-menu list creates duplicates.

PTIadmin

Title

New to FMP Help with relationships between tables, pop-menu list creates duplicates.

Ive just started using FMP to create a database, Im creating a database for our office central services.

I need some advise/ help with relationship between tables, its possible I dont understand how FMP uses relationships or Im using the wrong type, I  think its unlikely that the problems is with FMP.

Ive created one table "Personnel" with details of employees including the field "name"

I have created a link this field "name" to the field "associated user" in another table called "assets" to save duplication.

Ideally I want to enter user records in the "Personnel" table and to be able to select them from a Pop-up Menu in a layout based on "assets". What happens is: when I select user1 from the pop-up menu in assets it creates a new  duplicate record in the "Personnel" table.

Any suggestions welcome.

FMP 9.0v3

on Mac OS X 10.5.8

• 1. Re: New to FMP Help with relationships between tables, pop-menu list creates duplicates.
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you have the wrong field on your layout.

Set up your "associated user" field with your drop down menu instead of placeing a copy of the name field from the Personnel table on your layout and this should no longer happen.

Next step would be to stop using the name field for this relationship. Use a PersonnelID number (set it up as an auto-entered serial number) and link it to a matching number field in your assets table.

That way, when Mary Smith gets married and changes her name to Mary Jones, you can alter her name in the Personnel table and not have all her related Assets records disappear. :smileywink: