2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2008 10:59 AM by ReggieByrum

New User - Need to drop in photo automatically

ReggieByrum

Title

New User - Need to drop in photo automatically

HI! I'm a brand spanking new user for FileMaker - or ANY database for that matter. I've been a designer for the past 20 years and I have no experience with databases, even on a very basic level. . . With that said, I just purchased FileMaker Pro Advanced and I am thrilled with how easy it is to use. 

I've created a form that provides an proposal/estimate. In the item number field, I'd like for that to be a drop down where they pick from a list of item numbers. I think I can figure that one out on my own.

My question is that once they select the item number - I want a picture that associates with that item number to automatically drop into a container box (positioned under the Photo/Diagrahm heading in the sample below), so they will see an actual picture of what it is they are getting an estimate for.

I'm creating the form on my MacBook Pro (but using Parallels to run FileMaker on Windows XP). I am creating a runtime and putting that file on our company server where others (on PC's) can access the runtime file and fill out the estimate form. The images are also contained in that folder.

Can someone please explain (in an extremely simple way) or point me in a direction where I can accomplish this feat? An example of the form is below:

Chimney Supply Estimate 

• 1. Re: New User - Need to drop in photo automatically
          TSGal

ReggieByrum:

Thank you for your post.

For this example, I'll assume you have two tables.  "Items" and "Estimate".  The "Items" table includes your item number, picture, and several other fields.  The "Estimate" table will have Name (which may link to a Contacts table), quantity, item number, and other things.

Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database".  Click on the Relationships tab, and you will see a graphic representation of your tables and how they are connected to one another.  If you don't have a link between "Items" and "Estimate", then click on the "ItemID" in one table, and drag it over to the ItemID in the other table.  When you let go, the two tables are now linked.

Now, return to the "Estimate" form that you are creating, and pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  On the left side, there will be a number of icons.  Click on the icon just below the oval tool.  This is the portal tool, and it allows you to see information in the related table (in this instance, the Items table).  On your form, click on one corner and draw diagonally.  When you let go, a portal is created.  Select the related table, and include the Picture/Container field.  Size the row (and field) to be one large entry.  Return to Browse Mode (from the File menu) and save the changes.

Now, enter something into the ItemID field, and the picture for that ItemID should now appear in the portal.

If you run into any difficulty, or need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: New User - Need to drop in photo automatically
            ReggieByrum

LOL!   With me - you shouldn't assume anything! I'm about as dumb as a rock.

I don't have a "Items" table. I just created this proposal out of a blank database and started drawing text fields. The field under "Item" is a drop down menu with a list of items codes. An example of an item code would be SSTMFL. (stainless steel top mount flat lid chimney cap). On the server I just have a folder with a handful of images (tif format) whose file name matches up with the item code.

My initial thought was to have the salesperson just "right-click" on the container box, click "insert picture" and navigate to the images folder on the server to select the picture for that particular item. However if they could just select an item number from the drop down menu and have the correct photo pop into the container box . . . wouldn't that be a hoot?!

Your response has me thinking I need to create a couple of tables and set it up the way you explained. If I create a "Items" table with the item code, picture and product description - then all three could be dropped in and all the salesperson would have to do is fill in the number of items and amount, right? 

Again - when I say you are talking to a very basic beginner when it comes to databases - that could be an drastic understatement. I don't even know how to use Excel spreadsheets.

I'll try your suggestions and let you know if (when) I run into problems. Thanks so much for your help!