14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 12:49 PM by philmodjunk

New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12

TimSonner

Title

New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12

Hi. I recently bought FileMaker Pro 12 - I've never used any database program except Excel - and transfered my entries from my excel file. I'm trying to print some of the columns onto Address Labels - #8160 Avery, 30 per page - and can't find anywhere on this forum how to do so. I thought I had seen that done prior to buying this.

It is the primary reason I bought this and probably wouldn't have done so without this function.

I may not have completed a correct step beyond geting the information into columns first but that may be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

• 1. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
          philmodjunk

Excel is not a Database program.

Are you familiar with selecting New Layout from the Layout menu while in Layout mode and selecting "labels" as the layout format? This allows you to then specify a label format by Avery number. The precise list of available formats can very with your language set install, I think, but check there and see if 8160 is listed. If not, check the packaging information on your labels for a "compatible with" or "same format as" info as the avery number indicates the material used as well as the format and you will probably find you that there is another Avery number that is on the list that you can select to get the right format.

A Quick check on my system reveals that 8160 is listed. You should be able to select Labels as the layout type, select the 8160 format and then follow the wizard for the rest of the steps needed to get a label.

• 2. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
            TimSonner

This is the first time I've posted on a forum for help, thanks!!!

You're right, that's why I decided to get FM.

Thanks for your help. I have now set up the new layout for 8160 as you laid out through the wizard.

But I can't see how to print it!

Any ideas if you don't mind???

• 3. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
              philmodjunk

What prevents you from printing it? What problems do you encounter when you try to print?

• 4. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                TimSonner

I have the columns for the address labels and did coordinate them, I believe, so they'd print name/address/city,state,zip on different lines.

Print allows 3 options - I've tried all 3.

Records being browsed (just prints the list as it appears)

Current record (top fields bar only)

Blank record, showing fields > as formatted (top fields bar only)

Thanks,

ts

• 5. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                  philmodjunk

And what result to you want instead of those three options?

Generally speaking, you'll want to perform a find to pull up a found set of records for the labels you want to print and then you print with the Records Being Browsed option to print them.

• 6. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                    TimSonner

I'm trying to make it print out like this:

• 7. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                      TimSonner

Not sure if it uploaded the PDF to this forum.

• 8. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                        philmodjunk

If you read the information listed with the controls for uploading an image file to the forum, you'll find that PDF file are not one of the file types that may be uploaded. Use one of the graphic formats on the list and your screen shot will upload.

• 9. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                          TimSonner

I tried to upload a PDF what I'm hoping to print but guess I can't.

I have the gone through the steps you outlined for printing Avery #8160 but when I try to print it doesn't come out as Address Labels.

Only the columns I designated from the original database are on the new layout (name, address, city, state & zip) so I'm pretty sure I got that far.

There seems to be a step I'm missing to get those to print out in that address label format.

• 10. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                            philmodjunk

Did you read my last post? You cannot upload a PDF, it must be a graphic image and only with one of the file types listed along with the controls for uploading an image file.

It is still not clear to me what your problem is.

You say it "doesn't come out as address labelds", but you don't indicate what you DO get when you try it and you don't describe the steps you followed in an attempt to print labels.

Do you know how to enter preview mode? Preview Modes will show you what you will get when you print with the "Records being browsed" option for your current found set of records on your current layout.

• 11. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                              TimSonner

Yes, I did read your last post. I thought you were refering to the PDF I tried to upload on this forum to show what the "Print Preview" looked like.

I'll try to break down the steps I have taken to this point.

What I'm trying to do is from the Filemaker Database, print just the selected columns onto White Easy Peel Address Labels (Avery #8160) on my printer. There are 30 labels per page and that goes onto the envelope to be mailed out.

I went through the steps you outlined in previous posts (creating a new Layout) and have narrowed down from my database just the columns I want printed on the Address Labels with a new layout (name/addres/city,state,zip code).

I believe that part has been accomplished as the new layout just has those columns chosen for Address Labels.

I have gone through Print, Print Preview, Page Setup and all the various options in that process. Whether I print preview or actually print the page, it only comes out as viewed in columns (rather than printing each row onto an Address Label) or just the first row.

Hope that's clear. Thanks for your help.

• 12. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                                philmodjunk

Sorry, but it really isn't clear.

Can you select the labels layout that you created, enter layout mode and capture a screen shot of it? Then upload that screen shot here?

I'm not sure at this point whether or not you are even on the labels layout when you preview it.

• 13. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                                  TimSonner

I again went through the steps to create a new layout from the database, selecting 8160 and the fields from the columns I want.

Hope this is clear - the "Preview Mode" has blank sheets instead of 30 address labels per page.

I called Filemaker and they wanted $45 to fix the problem. 

• 14. Re: New User - Printing Address Labels from FileMaker Pro 12
                                    philmodjunk

To repeat:

Can you select the labels layout that you created, enter layout mode and capture a screen shot of it?

I need to see what you have before I make any further suggestions.

Blank sheets could mean that you are on the wrong layout, it could also mean that you either have no data in the fields you've specified for the layout or that you have no records in your found set.