AnsweredAssumed Answered

New User having difficulty with Excel Table Import to create first database

Question asked by steve_c on Dec 24, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 by steve_c

Title

New User having difficulty with Excel Table Import to create first database

I am pretty new to filemaker and I am just learning the basics at the moment and could do with some help in pointing me in the right direction.

Not sure if this is the best option to start but I am creating a training database from an excel table which I had 1630 records within it (Table - Personnel as above with the relevant fields which contain details of each person, about 170, each person can have attended many training courses).

My second table - Courses is another excel table which has 4 fields and 76 records.

Because I have a large amount of data that I don't want to re-enter the data I would like to use the existing personnel table data and be able to add or update new records as the database grows. 

About 4 weeks ago when I initially tried to create a portal it worked ok, showing the first and last names with the training courses, course date and refresher date all inside the portal.  I have gone away tried to view as many videos and fm training lessons I have come back to start and develop my first database and appear to have brain washed myself in the process.  Even though I created a relationship between the two tables above I get nothing in the portal?

Regards

Steve

Personnel_pic.png

Outcomes