3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 9:54 AM by philmodjunk

New User Question

BMiller

Title

New User Question

My future standalone application manages "projects" one at a time and store them in separate files so they can be shared, copied, emailed to other users.  Each project consists of multiple tables in a database.  When a user wants to create a new project,  I need to create a new copy of an empty database.  Can anyone help with the basics here?  Thanks, Bill

• 1. Re: New User Question
          philmodjunk

Well you can use save a copy... with the clone option to create a new empty copy of you file, but setting that up with a  copy of the runtime executable that will open it instead of the original file looks a bit problematic...

Why do you have to create a new file to start a new project? Couldn't you just start a new set of records in the existing file?

• 2. Re: New User Question
            BMiller

I guess I should be clarified.  Is the data stored separately from the executable?  Or, how can the data be stored separately from the executable? Import/export? It looks like everything is stored in the fp7 file (scripts, layouts, data, etc).  I need to be able to store the data as if it were a document.  I start a new document (project in my case), modify it, save it.  Then I need to be able to copy or email the document to another person and let them make changes, run the reports, etc.  They don't need or want to share 10, 20, or 50 projects with each other, just one at a time.  In my case, a project consists of about seven tables.

• 3. Re: New User Question
              philmodjunk

The data is stored separately from the executable. In windows, you'll find two file with the same name but different extensions. The data, scripts, layouts etc are found in one file with .USR (or a devloper specified extension). The executable will end in .EXE. That, of course, doesn't answer your main question.

Here's what I would do:

Your solution can have more than one such data file in the system. Design one such file as a clone of your current file so that all tables, relationships and their field names match your main file. Then use scripts that purge this file of all records and then import selected records from your main file. You can then export a single project to this file and email it to a user with the same runtime system as you. They can drop it into their folder, replacing their current file and open it for editing. You and the user can use scripts that reverse this process and pull the updated records into your main file after first deleting the older copy.