3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 7:35 AM by TSGal

New user to FMP- webforms to FMP

summercampsdir

Title

New user to FMP- webforms to FMP

I have a website which has a form on it for registering for summer camps. Right now we get the form by email, then print and enter all the info into an excel file.

I'd like to import the email form info into FMP and create a database for our different camps.

Easy, hard?

Any input on what I have to do to my webforms for compatibility, and whether I need FMP or Bento to start with. Is there a template to get started quickly?

Many thanks 

• 1. Re: New user to FMP- webforms to FMP
          TSGal

summercampsdir:

Thank you for your post.

It doesn't sound like you need much, so Bento would probably do the job for you.  Remember, Bento only works with Mac OS 10.5.x (Leopard), so that needs to be a consideration.  Although there is no specific template for summer camps, Bento makes it easy to create forms that look similar to your web form.  I would suggestion downloading a free 30-day trial from www.bentotrial.com and work with it.

With FileMaker Pro, you can create a database that interacts with the web.  That is, you can enter information on the web and have it feed directly into the FileMaker database file.  For what you are trying to do, it may be overkill.  FileMaker Pro does work on both Macintosh and Windows platforms, and it will take longer to set up than it would with Bento.  You can also download a trial version from our web site (www.filemaker.com).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: New user to FMP- webforms to FMP
            summercampsdir

Thanks TSGal!

In Bento I take it I would create a template that mirrors the webform, then copy the email and paste into the Bento template?

If in FMP, how would it feed directly into the db file?

Thanks, sorry for the second question. 

• 3. Re: New user to FMP- webforms to FMP
              TSGal

summercampsdir:

Yes, with Bento, you can copy the email and paste into the appropriate field(s).

In FileMaker Pro, there is a feature available called Instant Web Publishing.  That is, you can open your file using FileMaker Pro, turn on Instant Web Publishing, and your database would be accessible over the web (providing you have a static IP address).  Users would launch a browser, enter the IP address, and then select your database file.  Then, they can enter information directly into your database without you needing to copy and paste.

On our Products web page, you can find more information about this feature.  Go to:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fmp/connect.html

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.