AnsweredAssumed Answered

New user with question on FileMaker

Question asked by tkaste on Mar 1, 2010
Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 by mrvodka

Title

New user with question on FileMaker

I have just started using FileMaker I have the trial version but will be convincing the boss to buy it form me if I can figure this one issue out.

We work with several insurance carriers all who have different fixed expense components such as premium taxes, carrier expense fees, risk fees...

What I would like to do is when I input the carrier name it would auto fill the expense component fields.

I.E. in the carrier field I created a drop down list of all the insurance carriers we work with, if I were to select ACE Insurance Company, then the other fields would automatically fill based on this selection.

I am assuming I would have to create a separate table for expense components and link them.

I have done this in excel by using the lookup function i.e. Vlookup(a1,w1.z10,2) were a1 contains carrier name and w1.z10 is a table containing carrier names in  column W, expenses are in columns x-z.

With the reports I need to run excel is no longer acceptable and this needs to be moved to a database. I have worked in Paradox database 20+ yrs ago and Approach 10 years ago so I have some residual knowledge and think I have done this in the past I think but can not remember how.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Outcomes