5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 11:07 AM by BillPlunkett

NEW USER: moving from REALStudio:  basic question/problem

BillPlunkett

Title

NEW USER: moving from REALStudio:  basic question/problem

I have a basic database with two tables with a one-to-many relationship.  The child table is for Invoices and the parent table is the Customer.  (not really the tables but to make the description clearer I will use these names.  Actually, I have a database with information about reloading ammunutiion and the tables are Loads (Parent) and Lots (Child))

I have the Customer table built with one record in it that is working fine.  I have added the Relationship of CustID in the Parent Customer table to the CustID in the Child Invoice table.

I have an edit field on the Invoice layout that specifies Customers::CustID,  the control style is "pop-up menu" The "display from" field is a value list that specifices the CustID field from the Customer Table.

I have two fields on the Invoice layout that should display data from the Customer table.  But, when I run the Invoice layout, the field will display the CustID properly when I click in it but I then get an error msg that says:  "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable".

what is happening?

thanks in advance,

bill

• 1. Re: NEW USER: moving from REALStudio:  basic question/problem
          philmodjunk

Don't see any reason why we can't talk in terms of Loads and Lots here.

You should have this relationship: (See Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained if you need help understanding the following notation:)

Loads---<Lots

Loads::__pkLoadsID = Lots::_fkLoadsID

Though your names may differ for these fields, __pkLoadsID should be an auto-entered serial numer field and _fkLoadsID should be a simple number field.

"This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable".

indicates that your actions are resulting in FileMaker or you trying to modify a field of type calculation instead of a data field. This could mean you are attempting to directly edit such a field (It could also be that "prohibit modification" was specified), or you have "allow creation of records via this relationship" enabled for Lots, but that the match field you used isn't a simple number field, but rather a calculation field.

• 2. Re: NEW USER: moving from REALStudio:  basic question/problem
            BillPlunkett

Great to discuss in terms of lots and loads - just wanted to use terms that everyone would be familar with.

The Relationship Screen is attached. The following msg will have the Lots layout with field definitions.

Yes, the _pkLoadID field in the Loads table is a auto-enter, serial number field that cannot be edited.  See next messag for more info

• 3. Re: NEW USER: moving from REALStudio:  basic question/problem
              BillPlunkett

Attached is the Lots layout and field definitions.  When I click in the _fkFieldID field it displays the only record ID in the table as expected.  When I click to choose it I get the error message.  It apparently is trying to modifiy the LoadID field but I mean to read it in read-only mode.  I can replace the shown Pop-up menu field with a basic text-edit field and type in the appropriate LoadID and it works perfectly by displaying the Load Description and Caliber from the Load Table.

This has to be something simple that I'm missing - it's to basic a situation to be anything else.

Thanks a whole lot for your help,

bill

• 4. Re: NEW USER: moving from REALStudio:  basic question/problem
                philmodjunk

It is something simple.

When I click in the _fkLoadID field...

Take another look at your layout. You aren't clicking the _fkLoadID field, you are clicking into the __pkLoadID field from Loads--the field you have correctly prohibited modification on. Delete this field from your layout and replace it with the _fkLoadId field and it will work.

• 5. Re: NEW USER: moving from REALStudio:  basic question/problem
                  BillPlunkett

This fixed the problem exactly as you said and I also get the difference.  thanks for helping with the transition...

Bill