3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 9:42 AM by philmodjunk

New Weight and date fields with related chart

RenFox

Title

New Weight and date fields with related chart

I have to collect weights on random dates for specific studies. I am looking for a way that I can enter a new date and the corresponding weight and have it saved into a table format with a related chart. The problem I have is that I don't want to create a table with pre-selected dates or call them Weight 1, weight 2, weight 3...etc. Is there a format or calculation that will just add every new/modified date and weight to a list?

I am also, in the future, trying to connect this database to a telemetry chip reader and scale. So I want to set it up that the date the "chip" is scanned will auto populate and collect the weight from the scale. (Not really sure if all of that is possible)

• 1. Re: New Weight and date fields with related chart
          philmodjunk

I don't see what:

The problem I have is that I don't want to create a table with pre-selected dates or call them Weight 1, weight 2, weight 3...etc.

has to do with

Is there a format or calculation that will just add every new/modified date and weight to a list?

You can create a related database table with a date field for the date when the weight was recorded and a number field for recording the weight. If you need to record additional data about that measurement, you can add a text field for recording notes, comments or whatever.

A portal to this related table can allow you to list all Weights for a given experimental subject with an "add row" at the bottom for adding additional measurements.

• 2. Re: New Weight and date fields with related chart
            RenFox

What they have to do with each other is that every week 1/3 of the study is weighed, but I need to give reports on the % Body Weight for the group being weighed. So, some of them are on their second weight, some on their 5th and I want to have a report created with just the first weight, the most recent weight, and the % Body Loss. I'm not sure how to get those three when the weights are in all different tables.

A portal to this related table can allow you to list all Weights for a given experimental subject with an "add row" at the bottom for adding additional measurements.

So, if I had one table and it just has "Weight" and "Date" I can add more to the field and I don't need separate tables for each measurement?

• 3. Re: New Weight and date fields with related chart
              philmodjunk

I can add more to the field and I don't need separate tables for each measurement?

You would not add more to the FIELD, you would add another RECORD in the related table. If you have not used them yet, look up "Portal" in FileMaker help and any training materials that you have available. This is the standard interface tool for working with multiple records related to the current parent record (the subject) on your layout.