7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2012 6:31 AM by philmodjunk

New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database

HugoLidia

Title

New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database

We currently have several places where the User can send an e-mail to the associated e-mail account, but whilst the e-mail is being being sent using MSOffice Outlook, the active window is the outlook screen and we cant switch back to the filemaker database to cut and paste whatever info is required ( this info varies too much so cannot be scripted).

I have tried the "new window" script with a floating window, but that has had no effect.

Can anyone give me a clue how this can be done?

Thanks

• 1. Re: New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database
          philmodjunk

Why not use a text field in FileMaker to compose the email before you do the send mail? Then Send Mail can use the contents of this text field as the body of the email. The user clicks a button to start the process and gets a layout with this text field. They enter the info that they need, copying from other FileMaker fields or even doing drag and drops as needed.

When they are done, they click a "send" button that uses Send Mail to send the email.

• 2. Re: New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database
            HugoLidia

It is becasue the e-mail is free format that we need the flexibility to copy an dpaste from different parts of the database.

As you are very experienced with Filemake, does this mean it cannot be done?

If so, should we turn this into a request to include the option in the next release.  I am amazed nobody else has hit this hurdle.

Thanks

Chris

• 3. Re: New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database
              philmodjunk

If you follow my suggestion, you can copy and paste from different parts of your database as much as you need to. The trick is to copy and paste all your text into a message into a text field BEFORE you attempt to use send mail to send out the email. The send mail step can then use this text field to produce the body of the email message it sends out.

Others have asked this question before and this suggestion worked for them.

• 4. Re: New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database
                HugoLidia

I have liaised witht eh USer over this issue and they too regard it as impracticle to have to try and build the e-mail before sending it, because you have to store it in another application and then copy and paste it into the e-mail.

If an e-mail cannot be started from within the database without being in a separate window can I suggest this as a future development issue.  I am quite amazed that nobody else has not hit this problem/limitation before.

From our website we can initiate an e-mail, without it locking the User into MS Outlook, so I am surprised there is no call routine to an external application through which we could acheive this.  IF I knew how to incorporate Delphi code into the Filemaker Database we could do it, so I have asked on their forum for advice, but they do not use Filemaker. 

• 5. Re: New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database
                  philmodjunk

because you have to store it in another application and then copy and paste it into the e-mail.

You do not have to do any such thing.

You do not need a separate window for this either.

I think you need to research how Send Mail works.

• 6. Re: New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database
                    HugoLidia

Sorry PhilMOdJunk, I am just reply to what you suggested before ( unless I hav misread or misunderstood it).... 

The trick is to copy and paste all your text into a message into a text field BEFORE you attempt to use send mail to send out the email. The send mail step can then use this text field to produce the body of the email message it sends out. Sorry Phil, I am just following what you wrote before.

If the user did this they would have to then format the e-mail before it is sent and your answer seems to confirm that the User has the screen locked while the e-mail itself is being sent.

Having looked at the send e-mail details in the help files this throws no new light on the problem apart from suggesting that the send e-mail is done with no dialog and then saved as a draft from which the User should be able to aemnd it.  However, on trying this it did not save as a draft but sent it immediately.  I will play with this later today .... but for us in Tenerife, its bed time.

Thanks for your input

• 7. Re: New Windows required whilst sending e-mail from database
                      philmodjunk

Please read what I said and you quoted.

Your complaint about this method was:

it as impracticle to have to try and build the e-mail before sending it, because you have to store it in another application and then copy and paste it into the e-mail.

This is not the case. You would not be copy and pasting from fileMaker into an email program's window. You wanted this capability:

we cant switch back to the filemaker database [from the email window] to cut and paste whatever info is required

You do not have to copy and paste it into the Email. You do not actually have to copy and paste any data at all, but you wanted to be able to assemble the email with cut and paste. Your original problem was that you were opening an email window and then couldn't cut and paste into the email window.

Send Mail can be set up in a script with a calculation that produces an email to send from the various fields in your database, but if you need to compose a "one off" email, then this can be set up such that you have a layout display a text field for the email message. You can then type or paste data as needed and since the layout is not in a modal window, you have access to any other applications--including other windows open to your database to copy and paste text if you need that option.

You can add a button to this layout marked "send". When you finish composing the email, you click Send and a script assigned to that button uses the send mail script step to send the email out via your user's email client program or via an SMTP mail server. THe user need not see any window but the text field used to compose the email--if user input is required to produce it in the first place.