1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 4:21 PM by philmodjunk

Newbi question - filtering

MattEdmonds

Title

Newbi question - filtering

I'll simplify my question to make it easy to discuss...

I'm trying to develop a single to-do list filemaker file for my office (15 employees) that will contain records associated with only one project. I want a user to be able to open the file, select the project they're working on, and have filemaker ONLY display records related to the project they've picked.
      So far, I've created all the fields and a list view layout, and established a global value field with a drop-down function to a value list with the project numbers to identify the current project. The drop down list performs a find function to only display the records associated with the file... The problem is that when I use sorting scripts I added to some of the table column headers, it ignores the previous find function and reveals to-do records from other projects. The sorting scripts are written to toggle ascending/descending...

What is the right way to set up this type of solution? It needs to be bulletproof so that once a user picks their current project, there's NO WAY they can release the found set until they pick a different project number.

Please help a new guy!

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Newbi question - filtering
          philmodjunk

It would help if we could see the scripts used and the layout design you have set up.

Just changing the sort order should not change what records are present in your found set, so something odd is taking place when you sort the records into a different order.

You might also want to change from thinking about a "file" to thinking about "tables". What you describe is data that should be organized into two tables: A projects table with one record for each project and a tasks (to do list) table with one record for each task to be performed. The tables should be linked in a relationship so that the ProjectID in projects links that table to a projectID field in Tasks. Set up correctly, a portal on the projects layout can list all tasks associated with that project.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post a New Answer.
          3. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
          5. If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking