4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 9:57 PM by tricias

Newbie (to Filemaker Pro 8.5v1)

tricias

Title

Newbie (to Filemaker Pro 8.5v1)

Hi,

I am fairly new to Filemaker and need to know a couple of very simple things.

1. Can someone out there tell me how to make text wrap when a  value list and checkbox is placed in a field?  When I try it the text just drops off the end of the field or if I put hard lines in the value list I get a checkbox for every line.

2. I need a script for the last field on a layout.  This script is to tell the field after I've entered data or updated it will go to the next layout and field.  (I get the "GoTo" bit it's just the filling of the field first).

I do hope you can understand my questions and if possible reply in simple language.

Cheers

Tricias 

• 1. Re: Newbie (to Filemaker Pro 8.5v1)
          TSGal

tricias:

Thank you for your post.

1. Each value list item must be separated by a carriage return.  However, a length value list item will not wrap to a second line in a checkbox format.  One workaround is to only contain the first line in the value list, and then use the Text tool on the layout to enter the second line and place it below the first line on the layout.  Please keep in mind that only the first line of the value list would be stored in the file.

2. In FileMaker Pro 8.5, you do not have the ability to jump to the next layout and field when data is entered in the last field.  This is possible with FileMaker Pro 10, as you could set a script trigger when you exit (or enter, modify, etc.) a field.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Newbie (to Filemaker Pro 8.5v1)
            philmodjunk

tricias wrote:

Hi,

1. Can someone out there tell me how to make text wrap when a  value list and checkbox is placed in a field?  When I try it the text just drops off the end of the field or if I put hard lines in the value list I get a checkbox for every line.

Here's a couple of tricks that may work for you.

Resize your check box formatted field so that only the check box shows. Place the same text as layout text immediately to the right of the field. You can resize your layout text and it will wrap as needed for you.

If you have multiple check box items, Place the values in a separate table, one record = 1 value item. Use one field as a dummy check box field and place the value text into a second field. Now display your "check box field" as a portal on your layout. If needed you can add a script and attach it to your portal fields so that you can respond as needed when the user clicks an item in the portal. (It depends on what you want to do with your check box formatted data, on whether a script will be needed.)

• 3. Re: Newbie (to Filemaker Pro 8.5v1)
              tricias

Thank you so much.  These things always seem logical and simple when they are explained.  

This is no doubt the first of many dumb questions I will be asking.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Tricia 

• 4. Re: Newbie (to Filemaker Pro 8.5v1)
                tricias

Thanks for the advice.  I'm sure it would work very well but I'm not up to portals yet.  I will be attempting them soon though as I have another couple of places I want to use them so stay posted.

Cheers

Tricia:smileyhappy: