3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 12:44 PM by philmodjunk

Newbie Advice Please

grocha

Title

Newbie Advice Please

I need to design a database that can do three things.... 1 let me create work orders for my techs on a daily basis 2 let me techs log in see their work for the day, as well as let them submit closeouts according to work performed. Also submit time sheets and mileage logs. 3 clients has to be able to see their work orders as well as purchase orders per job, sort of like auto bill create from closeout generated by tech. Wondering if this filemaker pro is the right tool for the job and what the time frame is. Greatly appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Newbie Advice Please
          philmodjunk

Filemaker can do all of this, but unless you find and purchase a ready made solution from a developer, you'll need to be prepared to invest considerable time in learning how to create filemaker databases. If you haven't created a database before, you'll probably need to acquire a book or tutorials on the subject. You can also post specific questions here for further help.

If you haven't done so already, you can down load a 30 day trial copy from filemaker and try to get it to work for you.

• 2. Re: Newbie Advice Please
            grocha
            Thanks for the response. I bought filemaker pro already. It seems as thoughthis its much easier then SQL. And also for design purposes seems much more flexible. Thanks for your help their a place that sells templates?@
            • 3. Re: Newbie Advice Please
              philmodjunk

Filemaker is simpler than SQL--but I always try to warn people that ask "can filemaker do this" that the real question is often "Are you prepared to spend the time and effort learning new skills so that you can do this with filemaker?"

Some templates come with your copy of filemaker, Filemaker inc. offers a business productivity pack and a list of third party solutions under the Solutions drop down on their main page. I'd check those options first, then web search "filemaker solutions" or 'filemaker templates" to see what is out there.