AnsweredAssumed Answered

newbie looking for a way around nested portals

Question asked by amixer on May 20, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 by philmodjunk

Title

newbie looking for a way around nested portals

I'm aware that I can't nest portals, but I have a set of related databases in which the first database contains information about a job and is related to a second database that consists of tasks performed on that job.  So I'm viewing the Task database in a portal in the Job database.  Now I would like to be able to relate a sub-task database to my task database, so that each task can consist of a varying number of subtasks depending on the day, and I would like to be able to view these subtasks in the same portal as I'm viewing the current Task.  The classic description of a nested portal which doesn't work.  I'm know this question has been answered before, but on reading the answers, I couldn't understand how to implement them in a way that would work for me.  Any suggestions?

Just to make myself more clear

Job #1

Task#1

sub Task 1

sub Task 2

Task # 2

subTask 1

Task # 3
                   sub Task 1

Job # 2  etc.

Job and task are related by Job #.  I want to have an unlimited number of subtasks for each task, which is why I don't want to use repeating fields.  Again, I'm sure this is relatively easy but can someone point me in the right direction please? 

Outcomes