1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 12:48 AM by raybaudi

Newbie needs help with a formula for tracking hours and pay

Zapple

Title

Newbie needs help with a formula for tracking hours and pay

I am brand spanking new to File Maker and Databases. I am trying to make a database to keep track of my hours and pay. I am an hourly wage earner. I have many employers and need to keep track of the hours per job and production and a cumulative total of my working hours. The first problem I have is this. Each day i work I am guaranteed 8 hours of pay. After 8 hours my pay rate increases to 1.5X up to a total of 12 hours. After 12 hours my pay rate increases to 2x's up to a total of 16 hours. After 16 hours my pay rate is 2.5x. So if I work 14 hours, I will receive 8 hours at 1x my pay rate. (lets use $10 as the rate). How can I input the number of hours and have them broken down into the different rates based on the hours worked. So in this example working 14 hours at $10/hr. The first 8 hrs is at $10/hr, the next 4 hours are at 1.5x my rate or $15hr and 2hrs at 2x or $20/hr totaling $180 for the 14 hours of work, $80+$60+$40.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Newbie needs help with a formula for tracking hours and pay
          raybaudi

Hi Zapple

I could make a better to look calculation but this ( result text ) works:

Case(
          IsEmpty ( wh ) ; "" ;
          wh ≤ 8 ; "$" & wh * rate;
          wh ≤ 12 ; "$" & 8 * rate & "+$" & Mod ( wh ; 8 ) * rate * 3/2 ;
          wh ≤ 16 ; "$" & 8 * rate & "+$" & 4 * rate  * 3/2 & "+$" & Mod ( wh ; 12 ) * rate * 2 ;
          wh ≤ 24 ; "$" & 8 * rate & "+$" & 4 * rate  * 3/2 & "+$" & 4 * rate * 2 & "+$" & Mod ( wh ; 16 ) * rate * 5/2
          )

where wh is the NUMBER field that contains the worked hours.