7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 1:06 PM by ChristineHolzmann

Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows

ChristineHolzmann

Title

Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows

Hi all, I am BRAND NEW at Filemaker Pro so I apologize in advance if my question sounds like a dumb one. I am working with my client on creating a central database for all of their products and am working on bringing over the content from their current catalogs into Filemaker.

My main dilemma is how to include the information within the rows and columns from the tables under each item shown in the print catalog. To make things even more complicated, the tables under the items don't always contain the same number of columns and column headers are different on many of the items. Also, the number of rows differ from one item to the next. I have included a screenshot below to show 2 sample items from one of our catalogs. The first item has just 3 columns 8 rows in the table under the item description, while the second item has several more rows and columns.

Pls. can you advise me on the best way to get this data into FileMaker? 

Thank you so very much in advance,
      Christine

• 1. Re: Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows
          philmodjunk

Option 1:

Set up a single table with Ascot No., Mfg. No and a primary key field.

Use related tables for the other columns of data. Set up different related tables for products that have different numbers and types of columns.

Option 2:

Set up one table with a large number of fields. For any given product, only use the fields needed for that particular product and leave the unused fields blank.

• 2. Re: Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows
            ChristineHolzmann

Dear PhilModJunk,
            Thank you so much for replying! Do I create this table I need by going into the "Manage Database">Tables and Creating a new table there with the fields that I need? I then dragged the fields from this new table onto my layout and on those fields it now says "Unrelated Table and when I try to click into those tables...."This operation could not be completed because the target is not part of a related table." Also, how would I specify that there are several rows in a table?

See below...this is how far I have been able to get:(. (This is VERY plain....I will worry about the appearance once I figure out how to input the data:) 

• 3. Re: Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows
              philmodjunk

It would appear that you need to invest some time into learning how FileMaker works.

Each table that you define in Manage | database | Tables can have one or more Table Occurrence "boxes" on the Relationships tab. Each layout is then based on one of those table occurrences. That's what you are selecting when you pull down the "show records from" drop down in layout setup or the new layout wizard.

Before you can use fields from another table occurrence on your layout, you must first define a relationship in Manage | Database | Relationships.

This is just a broad outline. I suggest working through a tutorial from one source or another on FileMaker.

And you may find this tutorial on Table Occurrences useful: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 4. Re: Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows
                ChristineHolzmann

Thank you so much:) I spent a large part of today going through basic tutorials but could find nothing in reference to this...so I came here to the forums:) I do agree I definitely need to find more in-depth tutorials so that I can understand how all of this works:) Thank you so much for pointing me to the tutorial on Table Occurrences...I am definitely going to look through that.

• 5. Re: Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows
                  ChristineHolzmann

Okay I have been doing a LOT of learning today and going through some very in-depth tutorials and now MUCH better understand about table occurrences and relationships. 

What I am still trying to wrap my head around though is how to have UNIQUE related tables for some records.

Let me explain further....based on three examples of items from one of our catalogs, I have tried to put together a rough sketch of the tables I would need to create for this data.

Below is a screenshot of the three examples, and then underneath that is my rough ideas as for what tables need to be created. Is this a possibility? I am thinking of creating several columns for the Tables 2 and 3 and leaving blank what I don't need filled. OR I can create (if possible) unique tables for some of the products?  

And here are my thoughts on what tables I need to create:

• 6. Re: Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows
                    ChristineHolzmann

Hi all, based on my post above, can someone let me know if it is indeed possible to have UNIQUE related Table Occurrences for some records?

• 7. Re: Newbie question about fields with multiple columns and rows
                      ChristineHolzmann

Me again:) Okay...here is what would solve my problem:
                      Is there a way I can set things up so that custom headers can be added as needed to the tables? This way I don't have to have unique tables but can rather set up two tables with a large number of fields and only fill what is needed. See the screenshot for an example of what I am trying to accomplish.