8 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 10:47 AM by philmodjunk

Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table

MichaelHemberger1003

Title

Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table

I really new to Filemaker Pro so bear with me.

I rent rooms to college students and I have a simple database with basic student info. I have an additional table of costs that could be incurred for various damages to their room. The table has costs and descriptions. I need to check off each item after inspection of the room so that they can be charged for the problems. There are 70 possible costs. 

How do I connect the two tables  and make multiple choices (hopefully on one layout(tabbed) for the costs)??

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table
          Kays

heyy,

ur table "cost" must have a field called "room" and a field called "student", and do the following joint in "relationships"

student::id_student = costs::student

room::id_room = costs::room

this way for every "cost" (record in ur table COST), u know this "cost" is associated to which Room and which Student

or

u could set a table Rent (id_rent,room,student),to do the renting u want, but here ur table "Cost" will have an aditional field called (Rent) with

rent::id_rent = cost::Rent, and this way u know this cost is associated to which Rent.

K|Z

• 2. Re: Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table
            MichaelHemberger1003

Thanks for the relantionship info.

But I also need to know the easiest way to make a screen to show these 70 possible choices of inspection costs and as they are chosen i need to show the total on the screen as part of their permanent record.

For me this is the most important part!

• 3. Re: Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table
              Kays

i didn't exactly understant what u wanna do,

do u wanna have the history of all rent actions and see the rent operations for every client on a portal set ? ...

could u give a more simple xplanation :)

K|Z 

• 4. Re: Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table
                MichaelHemberger1003

Here's the full lowdown.

I am going to use the Ipad and Filemaker Go to go to each college students room after finals and inspect the room.

There are 70 possible issues that could be wrong with a room, like broken toilet paper holder. Each item has an associated cost. Like $7.50 for that holder.

I want to go to that students room. Call up their record on the ipad. Then inspect the room and put say a checkmark beside each problem I find.

As I do that on the ipad screen the cost begins to tally up on that screen , say at the top in a field maybe called inspection costs.

This will be done for each student. and then I will come back and pass that info back to the main filemaker pro database.

My problem is finding a way to put all 70 items on the screen in the smallest amount of space and have it calculate on the fly. Maybe their is no simple way other than to have multiple tabs with say 15 items per tab.

Currently I have two tables. One for student info and a second for inspection info. They are tied together via the student's id#.

• 5. Re: Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table
                  philmodjunk

Sounds like you need this table structure:

Students---<RoomInspection>-----InspectionList

Students::StudentID = RoomInspection::StudentID
                  InspectionList::ListItemID = RoomInspection::ListItemID

InspectionList is a list of your 70 inspection items and the cost for each. Since these are records in a list, you can easily modify the list from year to year as needed by managing the records in this table. RoomInspection is join table that records your response to each InspectionList item for a given student as you check them off on your list.

For each student, you use a script to generate a set of list records in RoomInspection with the appropriate ListItemID so that each matches to the correct InspectionList record. While we could use checkboxes, a button makes a larger target for your finger on the iPad. You can tap a button to assign that item to the student's bill by using set field to copy the cost from the matching Inspection List record into the RoomInspection Record, and conditional formatting can produce a color change so that you know which items are selected. With a bit of careful scripting, tapping this button with your finger can "toggle" the item selection by either clearing the cost field in RoomInspection or assigning it the cost from the InspctionList Record.

There are any number of ways you can group this set of 70 RoomInspection records into smaller groups. You can devide them into categories sand pull up one category at a time. You can number them and pull up the next group of X records each time. You can put tabs on your Students layout and place a portal to each subset of the total list on each tab...

You can use the RoomInspection table as the basis for printing out an itemized invoice of the room damage charges. A summary field in this table can compute totals and a calculation field in the Students table can also use the sum function to compute the same total.

• 6. Re: Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table
                    Kays

heyy,

what PhilModJunk seggected makes the perfect solution for your problem, u can set an "InspectionList" that contains all the inspections you mentioned ( this inspections are listed through a table that you could add, delete modify it from year to year ), a table called "RoomInspection" (id-room;id-student;id-inspection), that's filled automaticaly every time you check an inspection from the "InspectionList". (you could do this through a joint : allow creation of records ... ),

K|Z

• 7. Re: Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table
                      MichaelHemberger1003

Thanks guys!  That should work great!!!

• 8. Re: Newbie question on making multiple choices from a table
                        philmodjunk

If you stop and think about it, what I have suggested is a kind of modified invoicing system not too different from the Invoices starter solution. The RoomInspection table corresponds to LineItems and InspectionList corresponds to Products.

The biggest difference is that you need a script to "pre load" the Room Inspection table with records each time you inspect a student's room.