3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2012 7:00 AM by philmodjunk

Newbie Question Showing Only One Instance of a Record

rjorgan

Title

Newbie Question Showing Only One Instance of a Record

Hi,

I apologize as I know that this issue has been dealt with in the past, but I'm new to Filemaker Pro (I've only been using Filemaker Pro 12 for a couple of months) and the solutions that I've seen posted are at this point too technical for me.

I have created a data base of my rock and mineral collection.  I have multiple samples of the same mineral.  I want to create a list with unique sample types only, that is it omits duplicate samples.  I want to be able to do this without permanently deleting any records. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Newbie Question Showing Only One Instance of a Record
          Sorbsbuster

Duplicate a layout that currently lists all of your samples, including the duplicates.  On that copy of the layout, use the 'Add a Layout Part' tool to add a sub-summary part below the Body part.  You will be asked to define what causes the sub-summary to 'break'.  Choose the field that defines the duplicate - be that Rock Type, Mineral Name, or whatever it is that defines it as a duplicate.  Put a copy of that field-that-defines-the-duplicate into the sub-summary part.

Return to Browse mode and sort all of your records by that field.  You will see that all records are listed, including all the duplicates.  The list is punctuated by breaks after each Mineral Name (if that is your definition of a 'duplicate'.)

Now go into layout mode.  Delete all the fields from the Body part, and slide the body line up to meet the header (or the next layout section above it).  In other words, delete the Body section completely.

Return to browse mode.  You will see that you now have one line per mineral name (or whatever).

• 2. Re: Newbie Question Showing Only One Instance of a Record
            rjorgan

Thank you for the quick response and thanks so much for the information.  It worked like a charm!

• 3. Re: Newbie Question Showing Only One Instance of a Record
              philmodjunk

Another approach is to create a table of minerals linked to your table of samples. Such a table would have just one record for each mineral and thus also produces the results you want here. Both options are useful and are not mutually exclusive. Often, you need such a table to make it easier to work with your database and often the summary report Sorbsbuster has recommended is useful for displaying statistics about your samples--such as how many samples of each mineral is in your collection.