4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 1:00 PM by DRR

Newbie question: Fields become blank when printing or moving away from that layout and returning

DRR

Title

Newbie question: Fields become blank when printing or moving away from that layout and returning

FileMaker 10 Pro on MacOS Snow leopard MacBook Pro

I am obviously overlooking something, so your feedback is appreciated. I have a field on a layout where I place a name of an individual. It is a text field, there are no restrictions or calculations associated with it. When I type a name in, it stays and even pulls up a matching name and unique ID from another layout in other fields, but when I try to print the layout, all other fields are displayed but that one is blank. When I return to the layout, the field is blank now. What is going on here?

• 1. Re: Newbie question: Fields become blank when printing or moving away from that layout and returning
          philmodjunk

No way to tell without knowing more about your database.

"When I type a name in, it stays and even pulls up a matching name and unique ID from another layout in other fields,"

Tells me that something has been set up that responds to input in that field. It could be a script trigger, it could be there's a relationship that uses the field as a key. There could something else going on.

It's even possible that when you attempt to print, that you are no longer on the same layout though it looks like the same layout.

Are you printing from a script or choosing Print from the File Menu?

If the status area across the top of the screen is visible, check the layout's name before and after you print to confirm whether it is the same.

Enter Layout mode and check the field for a script trigger. Check relationships in Manage | Database | Relationships.

While in layout mode, use Layout Setup... to check for a script trigger set on the layout and/or the record.

• 2. Re: Newbie question: Fields become blank when printing or moving away from that layout and returning
            DRR
               Thanks. It turns out that I established a relationship between the name field in that layout/table and another name field in another layout/table. I was able to work around this by having two independent unique ID fields in each layout/table and connect those instead of the name fields. It solved that problem but it seems that I have to copy and paste the ID code generated from the the one table/layout to the other before a connection is made, though I'm not sure. Perhaps FM would identify the same name and dob between the two and make the connection without?
            • 3. Re: Newbie question: Fields become blank when printing or moving away from that layout and returning
              philmodjunk

You could, but I don't recommend it. Using a name field as a key field opens up numerous problems you can avoid by using an auto-entered serial number instead.

Consider what you have to do when:

1. A person changes their name
              2. You find you've mistyped the name and now have to change it

What you can do is set up your ID field with a drop down list with a 2 column value list where column 1 is the ID number and column 2 is the name from the related table. You can click in this field and use the name to find the ID number.

You can also script a search tool where you enter a person's name and the script searches for matching records. If the script finds just one record, it enters that records ID number into your key field. If it finds multiple matching records (Two John Smith's for example.), it can list the matching records so that you can click on one to select it.

• 4. Re: Newbie question: Fields become blank when printing or moving away from that layout and returning
                DRR
                   Thanks. Those ideas make sense. I am going to assume that the two column idea would be for the second layout or record where it would search the first record for the name and ID. I am going to try that out, as that sounds much better of an approach than copy and pasting.