8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 1:29 PM by GuyStevens

Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space

Tod

Title

Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space

Using FPM 12 on a Mac running OAX 10.8

I am creating a membership directory and several fields have variable lengths (such as phone numbers - some include area code while most do not).  I'm trying to get the field labels to move either left or right to fill in blank spaces.  Please see my attached screen grab, which shows the date fields for members' birthdays, which are right justified, but I want the data to slide left to close up the  space between the dates and the label "B-day."  Also shown is the phone number field, which is also right justified so it will hug the right side of the space, where I'd like the label "Phone" to slide right.  Finally there are the hometwon fields that are also right justified so that they, too, will hug the right edge, and where I'd like the label "Hometown" to slide right.

I've tried changing the justification but this just messes up the desired layout with the items on the right all justified to be against the right edge.

any tips would be really appreciated.

2012-06-24_1726.png

• 1. Re: Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space
          GuyStevens

The easiest thing I think would be to use Merge fields in stead of actual fields.

Use the text tool to type "B-Day: " and then hit Ctrl-M or go to "Insert" - "Merge field" and choose your Birthday date field.

For the Hometown and the Phone align the text to the right.

It should look like:

Phone: <<Table::Phone>>

• 2. Re: Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space
            Tod

That is the coolest thing!  Thanks for the quick and very easy solution.

• 3. Re: Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space
              Tod

@ DaSaint:  One further question:  If the field Hometown is blank, it still prints the text "Hometown:"  How do I make the text not display if there's no data?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space
                GuyStevens

That would be done using conditional formatting.

Right click on the "Hometown" text and choose conditional formatting.

Then create the formula:

IsEmpty ( Hometown )

(You can select the hometown field from the list of fields above.

Then (in the conditional formatting dialogue)  set a custom font size of 500 points for this formula.

This means that when the hometown field is blank the text will become so large it's invisible.

An alternative would be to set the text color to blank. But that might create a problem if you have multiple text fields over each other.

• 5. Re: Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space
                  Tod

@ DaSaint:

This sounds like a good solution, however, when I tried it, it didn't work.

I'm in Layout.  I right-click on the object "Hometown:  <<hometown 1 >>, and that brings up a list of options, including the conditional formatting.  I get a window called Conditional Formatting for selected objects.  there is a space where I can add a condition, which I did.  There is a section called Condition------.  There are two choices:  "Value is" and "Formula is."  I select Value is, then move to the drop-down list next to it and select "Empty."  I then went to the "More Formatting" button and selected 500 points for the font size.  Clicked OK on everything and then went to Preview mode.  The records where the "hometown 1" field is empty still showed the text Hometown: .

I'm using FMP Advanced version 12.

Also:  Do you want me to open a new topic for this or do you want to continue on this thread?

-Tod

• 6. Re: Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space
                    GuyStevens

We can continue here, no problem.

There where you can choose between value and Formula you need to choose formula.

Value should only be used on a field. But you are not using a field, you are using a text object or a label. And that text object has no value that is going to change. It will always contain the text "Hometown" So that text object will never be empty.

If you choose formula you can determine the field that needs to be empty for the conditional formatting to work. Like I said in my previous post create the following formula:

IsEmpty ( Hometown )

That way if the field Hometown is empty the font size of 500 points will kick in.

Let me know if you can't get it to work, I'll make you an example.

• 7. Re: Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space
                      Tod

Aha!  Somewhere in all that i thought that because "Is Value" had the "Empty" parameter that that was what I was to use.  I need to read more carefully!

No further example is needed.  It now works as you predicted.  

Thank you for your patience and great advice.

-Tod

• 8. Re: Newbie question: help needed "sliding" fields to fill in blank space
                        GuyStevens

No problem, it can be a bit overwhelming at first and sometimes there are subtleties you might miss, but look on the bright side, another experience under your belt :)