1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 12, 2009 7:12 AM by TSGal

Newbie Report Question

MikeNRA

Title

Newbie Report Question

Im sorry but I am very new to database development. 

I have two date fields, one is the date that a service was performed last, the other is when a service is due next. The date for the next service due is a calculation based on the last service date and the frequency of service. I want to generate a report including all of the jobs due during the current, last and next month, then further sorted by Technician, which is another field I have in my D base populated by the name of one of three technicians. Please if you answer, take itno account I am a total newbie

Thanks so much 

• 1. Re: Newbie Report Question
          TSGal

MikeNRA:

Thank you for your post.

One of the field types is a calculation field.  This not only allows you to calculate numbers, but it also allows you to put text strings/fields together and date information.  For example, you can create a calculation field that adds 30 days to a Date field.  Assuming your Date field is called Transaction Date, the formula would be:

Transaction Date + 30

To calculate the current Month, the calculation would be:

Month (Transaction Date)

Pull down the View menu and select "Find Mode".  This puts you in a mode to find a subset of records.  For example, if you want to find records with the Transaction Date occurring this month, you would enter:

3/2009

and press return.

Creating a summary report is not too difficult.  Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  Then, pull down the Layouts menu and select "New Layout/Report..."  For layout type, select "List/Report".  In the next dialog box, select "Report with grouped data" (if you want to include totals, then select the sub-choices).  Next, specify the fields you want to appear on the report.  Since you want to organize the report by Technician, select the Technician field.  Next, sort the records by Technician.  Select the Default theme to make things easier.  Disregard the Header and Footer information, and do not create a script.  Take the default to view the report in Browse mode and click "Finish".

This should get you pointed in the right direction.  If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.