5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 2:45 PM by berniesantos

Newbie searching

berniesantos

Title

Newbie searching

When trying to manually search the database I created I get a record not found if the field has more than 2 words in it. For example: I have a field called Model and this field has records called Beetle and another called Beetle Convertible. When I search for "Beetle" I only get the records with this specific word and the records for "Beetle Convertible" does not show up. If I search for "Beetle Convertible" no records shows up. What am I missing?

• 1. Re: Newbie searching
          berniesantos

I forgot to add. The information available in the field is in a value list.

Bernie S

• 2. Re: Newbie searching
            philmodjunk

I think you need to describe exactly what you are doing in more detail.

When you perform a find by entering find mode and entering/selecting "Beetle" in a text field, you should find both Beetle and Beetle Convertible with that find.

Since you aren't getting those results, I can only guess that this isn't exactly what you are doing to find these records.

Might it be that your value list is used to set up a check box format? Are you searching by clicking both check boxes for beetle and beetle convertible? I can see how/why that approach might fail, but I am just guessing here as to how you are doing this.

• 3. Re: Newbie searching
              berniesantos

I click on the find icon(magnifying glass) then go to the Model field then select the model. I use a drop down setting for my value list. Values with single words works fine and the ones with 2 words do not. Unless I use ==Beetle* to search I do not get all records with the word Beetle in the model listing. I definitely do not get anything when I search under Convertible or even selecting Beetle Convertible in a drop down when I search.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Bernie S

• 4. Re: Newbie searching
                philmodjunk

Something is definitely not typical here. Note the examples in the screenshots that I am uploading and the find criteria used is listed above each example.

Two things to check: Open manage | Database | Fields and make sure that Model is defined as a text field.

Then, while in browse mode, go to one of the records with "beetle convertible" and double click the word beetle. Does the double click select just the word "beetle" or does it select "Beetle Convertible"? If both words are selected, than some character other than the standard space character is separating the two words and thus FileMaker treets the entire contents of this field as a single word instead of two.

• 5. Re: Newbie searching
                  berniesantos

Thank you. Got it.

Bernie S