4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 2:52 PM by philmodjunk

Newbie trying to create a relationship between tables

JackLogan

Title

Newbie trying to create a relationship between tables

hi, I have just started using filemaker pro 11 advanced  and got through all my tutorials and trying to figure out how this would work for me. I am trying to build an inventory database.

First table would be my PARTS INVENTORY. Containing part numbers, description and qty on hand

Now, I would like to associate each part number with multiple transactions. Each transaction can contain a Part transfer, Stock Replenishment and Parts Sold.

Second table would be TRANSACTIONS, containing Date and Transaction type which is - part transfer, stock replenishment and parts sold.

PART TRANSFERS will have its own table containing - date, qty transfered, technician transfered to, confirmation number

STOCK REPLENISHMENT will have its own table containing - Date, qty ordered, confirmation numeber

PARTS SOLD will be broken up in two tables which is CUSTOMERS and INVOICES,  because each part sold can have multiple customers and each customer can have multiple invoices.

CUSTOMERS will have its own table containing - Store name, store number, address

INVOICES will have its own table containing - Invoice Number, Qty Used

My question i guess is based on the above, Inventory table has one to many with Transactions. Can transactions have Parts sold, stock replenishment and parts sold linked off of it. Is that a many to many or how would you break it down?