6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 11:39 AM by Bauke

Newbie with relational problem (just with FMP that is)

Bauke

Title

Newbie with relational problem (just with FMP that is)

Hello,

I'm trying to migrate from MySQL to FMP. It's quite different but works great sofar.

I'm now trying to get related data in one of my layouts and I must be doing something wrong here.

I have a table for games (wedstrijden) played. In this table I have a record for every game/player. There are always 2 players in every game so I have 2 records for every game. One of the field in wedstrijden is w_speler and is related to leden.id. Wedstrijden.w_speler and leden.id holld the person's initials.

I pulled the field leden.id into the wedstijden layout and thought I would get the contents. But the field stays empty.

I made a screenshot of the layout and the relation and would like some help on this issue

Thanks in advance, from Holland

Bauke 

• 1. Re: Newbie with relational problem (just with FMP that is)
          Bauke

And.............. can someone tell me how to enclose a image?

Bauke

• 2. Re: Newbie with relational problem (just with FMP that is)
            TSGal

Bauke:

Thank you for your post.

If you enter a value in w_speler, then the corresponding value in leden.id from the related table should also display.  Include another field from the related table to display additional information about the player.

To display a screenshot, post the image to a public server, and then you can use a link to display it on the forum.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Newbie with relational problem (just with FMP that is)
              Bauke

Thanks for your answer.

I thought it should show, but it doesn't.

Any idea of what might be the problem?

Bauke

• 4. Re: Newbie with relational problem (just with FMP that is)
                TSGal

Bauke:

The image is showing now.

From your relationship graph, I see the link between   wedstrijden::w_speler and leden::id.  I am assuming there are some records that match.  In your specific example, can you check to make sure there are some records for ID="MW" or ID="BS".  If there are, make sure that both fields are the same type.  It isn't uncommon to find that one field is set to Text, and the other one set to Number.

If this is not the case, go to the Relationships tab and double-click on the icon halfway between wedstrijden and leden tables.  This looks at the relationship.  I just want to confirm there is only one link (w_speler = id).

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Newbie with relational problem (just with FMP that is)
                  philmodjunk

I can see your relationship graph now.

"I pulled the field leden.id into the wedstijden layout and thought I would get the contents. But the field stays empty."

Judging from your image, that should work. I'd take a closer look at the contents of wedstrijden::w_speler and leden::id. I suspect that in the record you are looking at, the values don't match.

Here's a quick test:

On the wedstrijden, copy the contents of w_speler to the clipboard.

Switch to the leden layout, enter find mode, paste your copied text into the id field and click Find.

Do you find any records?

If so, do they match the text you pasted exactly?

• 6. Re: Newbie with relational problem (just with FMP that is)
                    Bauke

PhilModJunk and TSGal

Thanks! The quick test worked and gave the right records. But my layout still didn't. 

So I looked at the field types; they were NOT the same! I don't know why; I imported them from a csv-file (exported from MySQL)

Thanks again. hope to hear from you the next time (question)

Bauke