9 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 4:58 PM by philmodjunk

Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages

rachael

Title

Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages

I was hoping someone could give me a dumbed down version on how I would set up the following situation:

I have a list of contacts, and their academic research interest areas. I have already set up a page with contact details and fields for interest. I am trying to set up their page/s so when I type in their interests, a list of related grant bodies and there deadline dates for submission (appropriate for their interests), are generated on their page....so the interest/s connect to the grants via keywords. I understand I need to make another database with all the grant bodies and dates etc, but how do I connect them to the contact page via the interest keywords? And how do you create a button that will update submission date reminders? 

Similarily, I wanted to connect appropriate community groups (database) to the interest keywords, so this list would also be generated on their page. Is this possible? I keep working through the manual but I just do not seem to be able to work out how to do what I want to do....... 

• 1. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
          WorkingOnIt

Hi Rachael,

I think you are doing something very similar to what i did a couple weeks ago. Check out this thread:

Possible to filter a Value List from entries in another database?

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
            rachael

That looks like it might work but I would make the relationship between interest keywords...is that right????

I have not really played around with this program and feel a little like a fish out of water, so your quick response is fabulous. I will give it a try and post how I go!

Thank you

Rach 

• 3. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
              philmodjunk

One technique that is unique (as far as I know) to Filemaker is called the multi-value key. If you place a series of keywords in a text field, separated by carriage returns, you can use this field as a key field in a relationship and the database will match values in the related table as follows:

Main table Key field values

Banana

Orange

Strawberry

Kiwi

Related table

Record 1: banana

Record 2: Cherry

Record 3: Kiwi

In this example, your record in the main table will match Record 1 and Record 3 but not record 2. There are a variety of ways to load your keywords into text fields so that they can be used in this way.

• 4. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
                rachael

Thank you...I am going to work on it today so I'll let you know how I went....

So on the contact page I make fields - interest1, interest2 etc.....and then on the grant body page the field/s interest1, interest2, etc...???

• 5. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
                  philmodjunk

"So on the contact page I make fields - interest1, interest2 etc.....and then on the grant body page the field/s interest1, interest2, etc...???"

NOooooooooooooooooooooo!

That's a lot of work in the wrong direction. You are placing multiple values in the SAME FIELD.

Type in text, hit return to start a new line, type in text hit return to start a new line, etc. Do this all in the same field.

I suggest describing what you want to do in more detail first. There are several different methods for implementing this approach, as well as some ways to avoid having to type everything in, but I can't describe how to do this without a clearer picture of your database and how you want to set this up on your layout.

• 6. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
                    rachael

Ok....I am very new to this and the terminology so thank you for taking the time to understand, I appreciate it.

Bascially, I am trying to set up a database for another lady to use. Her job is to have an updated profile for all the academics, in particularly their research interests. She basically needs to help to those academics find grants that relate to their research interest areas.  She also needs to find community bodies that might be interested in engaging in research with them.    

What I was trying to set up for her was a database/s where she complied profiles on academics, grant bodies and community bodies. The idea was when she entered the academic's research interest into the field she could see what grants and community bodies would be the best for this person. She would also like to be able to see when the grant submission dates are due so she can 'nag' the academic to get their submission in.

Does this make sense?

Rach:)

• 7. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
                      philmodjunk

Quoting from your original post: "Similarily, I wanted to connect appropriate community groups (database) to the interest keywords, so this list would also be generated on their page."

"Connecting to the interest keywords" is where this multi-value approach might work for you. If you have a list of keywords in a field in a record from one table, you can build a relationship to link that record to multiple records in another table. This is not the only approach, you could also construct a Join table that works the same way.

Before you get all involved in such programming details, though, you need to plan out exactly how you need to organize your data. How many different tables of data will you need and how do they relate to one another? That's a very difficult question to answer for you via this forum. You may want to sit down on draw up lists of typical information you plan to put into your database. Each list may well become a separate table in your database.

Since you describe yourself as a "newbie", you may want to spend some time learning more about databases in general and Filemaker Pro specifically. There are books and tutorials that can assist you in acquiring this information. If you take the time to study up, it'll help you better make sense of the help offered to you through this forum.

Other people, when confronted by the need to design a new database like this, resort to hiring a consultant to make sure they get a design that meets their needs.

• 8. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
                        rachael
                           Thank you...I have only ever used a filemakerpro database after it has been set up. I will go back to the books and take into account what you have said and have a tinker. We do not have any money for a consultant so I will just be persistent until I get it!
                        • 9. Re: Newbie- making relationships between fields/keywords and different pages
                          philmodjunk
                             Feel free to keep posting questions to the forum. Any additional info that you pull together through books and tutorials will enhance your understanding of what you see here.