1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 9:20 AM by mgores

NEWBIE- Where can I go to learn how to modify the Contact Manager Template

AdamLevy

Title

NEWBIE- Where can I go to learn how to modify the Contact Manager Template

Greetings!

I am brand spanking new to DB's and FIleMaker Pro. I want to start off using the Contact Manager Starter Solution. I want to know how do I modify the template.... layout, change title from Contact Manager, add six to eight additional data fields....what is the best way to learn how to do this and where would I look? Additionally how do I know if I accidentally mess around with the functionality already built into the DB? I want to be able to use the map feature and import an additional image to what is already there.

Am I better off starting form scratch?  Any help is greatly appreciated....Mac based BTW

Thanks in advance....

Zapple

• 1. Re: NEWBIE- Where can I go to learn how to modify the Contact Manager Template
          mgores

If you select "edit Layout" you will be able to select and edit things like the title to what ever you want.  You can change the colors, fonts, and move things around as well.  To add data fields you first need to go to Manage Database - then select the fields tab from there.  You create new fields by typing a name in the box near the bottom of that window and selecting what type of field you want it to be.  If you want to add an additional image field that will be different for each contact, you want that to be a container.  If you just want to add an image that is constant no matter which contact you are looking at you insert that image directly on the layout.

You can look around the layouts and field definitions to see how they did things, then get some more specific ideas of how things work and what you would like to do.