1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 10:02 AM by philmodjunk

Newbie...checking out equipment

PaulLemen

Title

Newbie...checking out equipment

Okay, so I am extremely new to this, so be kind.

Here is my situation.  I am a band director.  I have a bunch of school-owned equipment (instruments, locks, etc.) that I check out to students for the year.  I have figured out how to put together my student database with no problem.  What I need to do is figure out how to check out instruments to the students.  Here are the things I would like it to do:

1.  Have a place on the student page (either on the main page or in a tab...doesn't matter) where I can assign school instruments to the kids, and where it will show which instruments are checked out to the students.  If this could be some kind of table format, it would be best, since kids often have more than one piece of equipment checked out to them at a time (locks and an instrument, etc.).

2.  Have a place in teh instrument description where it will show which student has the instrument checked out to them.

3.  My hope is that when I go to check out an instrument for the student, there would be a drop down menu showing which instruments are currently available.

4.  On the instrument inventory, a history of who has checked out each instrument in the past, so I can track those kids down if something is wrong.

Anyway, I don't know if what I am looking for is too advanced for someone like me.  I have a program (made with Filemaker) that is okay, but it isn't modifiable, so I can't customize it to my specific needs.  I have figured out how to do pretty much everything I need on FM, except the "checkout" thing. 

Again, big time newbie here, so be kind in your explanations.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Newbie...checking out equipment
          philmodjunk

1) use a portal to a related table for logging each item checked out. Look up "portal" in Filemaker help to learn more.

2 and 4) The related table from 1 will fulfill this requirement and also that of 4. You'd set up three tables with this relationship:

Students----<Student_Equipment>-----Equipment

Students::StudentID = Student_Equipment::StudentID
          Equipment::EquipmentID = Student_Equipment::EquipmentID

Equipment would have one record for each instrument, lock and any other equipment you might check out to them (Uniforms for example?)

A Portal to Student_Equipment on the Equipment layout would list all students that have check out the equipment both in the past and the present. You can sort the records in this portal so that the top row shows who has currently check out that item (and use a status field in Student_Equipment that shows that an Item has been returned.)

3) Put a status field in your Equipment table that shows whether an Item is Out or In.

Define a calculation field in Equipment as: If ( Status = "In" ; EquipmentID )

Set up your value list to list EquipmentID as field 1 and an Equipment Name or description as field 2.

More sophisticated versions of this can be set up that use a relationship and a category field so that you can specify a type of equipment: (Lock, Uniform, instrument...) and then the drop down automatically updates to list only available items from that category.

To learn more about conditional valuee lists:

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: http://www.4shared.com/file/f8NsU2DJ/ConditionalValueListDemo.html

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.