2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 3:28 PM by NigelDalton-Brown

Newbie: Can I use email addresses as Account names?

NigelDalton-Brown

Title

Newbie: Can I use email addresses as Account names?

Hi all, i've tried looking for this query but haven't found it, probably because I'm not asking the right question...so apologies if the answer is posted elsewhere.

So here's what I'd like to do........ allow my external users to be able to use their e-mail addresses as their account names.  They will log onto to the database using a web browser. .....  I'd perfer not to have to ask them to come up with a userID....we all have so many of the blasted things and e-mails are useful unique names.

1.           There are currently 35 users, each from different companies and so each user has a different e-mail addresses
      3.           I need to be able handle hundreds of users.
      5.           Within the database, each user has a record which lists their e-mail, name, phone number etc. 
      7.           I've set up three privilege sets for the three levels of user access

.....or if anyone has a neat idea to do this using an external database or table or somehting.

Many thanks for the help.

Nigel db

• 1. Re: Newbie: Can I use email addresses as Account names?
          philmodjunk

Pretty much any text can be used for an account name as long as each account gets a name that is unique. Valid email addresses will meet the criteria for unique file names if you include the full address.

There are only two drawbacks and both can be handled fairly well in most cases:

1) people change their email addresses, so you will need to decide if you want a way to manage the change in account name to accomodate a new eamil address. If you have multiple files  or you use an auto-entered account name in a field in your table, this change may require a bit of scripting to find and update all instances where the account name should be changed.

2) that pesky @ sign can be an issue when performing finds. @ is a find operator so when you enter an email address as criteria in a find request, you have to enclose the email address in quotes to get Filemaker to treat @ as that character instead of a 'wildcard'.

It's usually the Password, not the account name that's a challenge for users, do they use a password that they use in other systems or try to remember a brand new one. The person's own name can often be used for their account name and that might be simpler even than the email address though the chance of duplicate names will then need some special handling.

• 2. Re: Newbie: Can I use email addresses as Account names?
            NigelDalton-Brown

Hi PhilModJunk,

Thanks for the warnings.

Nigel