AnsweredAssumed Answered

Newbie: Templates for sale will they really work Cross Platform ?  Protectable ?

Question asked by NikkiMcAllen on Apr 15, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 17, 2011 by JamesRoland

Title

Newbie: Templates for sale will they really work Cross Platform ?  Protectable ?

I'm planning on building a resort booking and inventory management tool.  I'm really not  technical but I build very nice databases, however I can't manage Mac / Windows platform troubles on one computer.

If I design this template will it REALLY work cross-platform ?  Same  look, feel and formatting ?  Will I be able to perform easy upgrades via  download to distribute newer templates ?  Will those crash  existing data ? (cross platform-wise) 

I understand I can build a template and then sell it on the open market (hopefully true?).  The buyer would of course need Filemaker to use my template and could presumably modify it for themselves. Is there any way for me to protect these templates to prevent that ?  As I see it, once my template is 'out there' it could be pirated.  Is there any way for me to protect my templates from being pirated ?

I've considered the runtime solution but I am not sure if "binding" is within my technical capacity after reading a few of the data sheets, especially making it work for Windows (as Mac user). Does anyone have a different opinion about this ? It seems a long learning curve within a short demo trial-time to figure it out. 

As well a big reason I was hoping to take advantage of the "GO" promotion but it doesn't include FM Advanced

Thanks for helping out this

Outcomes