3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 10:07 AM by philmodjunk

Newby question

amtrakpdx

Title

Newby question

Hi Friends,

New to the forum.  New to FMP.  I feel proficient with spreadsheets but am much less-so with RDBs.  Working on a home budgeting program with version 10.

I have a table of savings 'goals'.  The goals are things like vacation, new car, Christmas fund, Kid one college svg etc.

The fields are: goal name, percent (percentage of monthly budget income going into the acct), maximum amt of goal (when to stop pulling $ from the monthly income for that particular goal), (others?).

I can see that I need the small table of goals but I can also see that I need another table that has some of the elements of the smaller table but also additional fields like date of income and actual dollar amt that was calculated to go into that acct.

Any/all guidance will be appreciated; no explanation will be too simple.  Thanks for being there.

Sam

• 1. Re: Newby question
          philmodjunk

You'll need a number of additional tables.

A Transactions table that you can set up just like a check book register to record your spending (checks, debit transactions and withdrawals) and income ( Deposits ). Most likely, you will need to link this to another "line items" table so that you can take a single transaction such as using a debit card to buy a bunch of different things from a store and itemize parts of it against your budget items. Your budget table can list each budget category you and any other members of your household that help you spend this money agree upon. (The best DB in the world will fail unless you work that part out. Wink) Your savings goals can be records in this budget table.

That gives you tables and relationships like this:

Transactions---<BudgetItems>------Budget   (---< means one to many)

There are a number of details to be worked out and more than one approach in many of these areas are possible depending on your skill set and what you want to do. Your budget table, for example can be a set of records tagged by each month or quarter. That way, you can see actual spending in each budget category and compare that to the specified budget amounts for that time period. A script can use the previous month or quarter to duplicate these records to produce a set for the next time period where you can then make any need adjustments based on how well the previous budget worked...

• 2. Re: Newby question
            amtrakpdx

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply.  Can you tell me specifically which script might be helpful with this case?

Is there a URL I can use to see what the functions of the different scrpts are?  Do you know if there is a FMP Users Group in the Portland Ore. area?

Again, thanks

Sam

• 3. Re: Newby question
              philmodjunk

Well, I haven't described a single script in my original post here. You first have to set up a table structure that works before you take a look at any scripting.

Don't know what user groups may be close to you. You'd need to web search that one out for yourself.