5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2013 1:25 AM by disabled_Rob_2

newby/dummie help needed

lidyswan

Title

newby/dummie help needed

hello masters;-)

i have done a search in my db and got a result of say 100 records of which I would like the content  from field A + field B (of all 100 records) copied to another table in 1 field, in 1 record (not 100 records).

My software version is FMP Advanced 9.03

How on earth can I do this?

thankx in advance!

lidy

• 1. Re: newby/dummie help needed
          philmodjunk

Why do you need to copy this value? (There are many ways to get this value on demand without storing the value in another table.)

A calculation field, C can be defined to compute Field A + Field B

Then a summary field can be defined to compute the total of Field C.

Then a script can copy the total in this summary field into a variable and then the value in this variable can be copied into the field in the other table, but there may be better/simpler ways to do this depending on what relationships you establish between the two tables--if you really need to do this at all.

• 2. Re: newby/dummie help needed
            lidyswan

I have a clientdb with names, adresses, fields of interest as a category etc. I don't need to count anything.

I need different kinds of lists, b.e.:

- of names + e-mail adresses  (Field A + Field B), separated by a comma, in one field in one record, for creating groupmails with gmail. I just looked at the template of FMP 'Email campaign management'. It looks great and I would love to combine it with my contactdb, but I cannot find a method to add multiple email adresses to a group at once. If this is possible then it would be the best solution for me.

- of participants = names + e-mail adresses  (Field A + Field B), these lists I want to keep as static lists for mutiple purposes and for my archive/history.

as I said I'm a newby, I do understand the relationshippart between tables, making lay-outs etc., but scripting......only the very simple things without formulas or variables.

• 3. Re: newby/dummie help needed
              philmodjunk

Adding value 5 + 5 = 10 and concatenating values "Apple " & "Orange" = "Apple Orange" are two different operations with two different operators.

NameFIeld & ", " & EmailAddressField

might be what you need here, but you don't need to define this as a field, it can be a calculation in your send mail dialog.

• 4. Re: newby/dummie help needed
                lidyswan

PhilModJunk thank you for your advices. I think I understand what you mean......most of the time when i read about this I feel as if i'm reading Arabic ;-)

Trouble is.....I'm very bad with calculations and always trying to avoid them, but I'm sure that it's a much smarter way to work in a db.

• 5. Re: newby/dummie help needed
                   No !! The intellectual path you really were seeking was looking for FileMaker simplicity. FileMaker can lead you down long long long roads and weeks months years on the wrong path !!