1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2015 5:48 AM by SteveMartino

Newcomer with simple question (I hope)

dsw5829

Title

Newcomer with simple question (I hope)

I created a database to track artwork.  I have a table with all the artwork listed, a second table with all the names/addresses of venues where the art can be displayed, and a third table with all the various exhibits that have or can occur at the venues.

The tables have one to many relationship from the artwork to the venires and from the venues to the exhibits.  All my table have an auto generated "serial number" which is the primary index.  I created a field of the same name in the other tables to allow establishing the relationships. 

I created a portal on the Artwork table layout where I can enter the exhibits (name of exhibit, start and end dates and the venus).  When I add and exhibit through the portal (or select the name of an exhibit form a pulldown list linked to the exhibit table) it creates a record in the exhibit table.

However, if I go to another piece of artwork and enter that same information it crates a new record in the exhibits table with the same information.  

What I want is only one instance of an exhibit for each exhibit no matter how many piece of art are entered into an exhibit.  

If I can get that working I would then like to create a portal in the exhibit table layout that will list all the pieces of artwork that have been entered into that exhibit.

Newcomer needs help.

DSW5829

• 1. Re: Newcomer with simple question (I hope)
          SteveMartino

If I can get that working I would then like to create a portal in the exhibit table layout that will list all the pieces of artwork that have been entered into that exhibit.

This is where I would start.  I would have the portal in the exhibit layout, where I can enter the pieces of art I want to add to that exhibit.  That should be a related table called ArtworkExhibited.  It would be the same as a line items table in an invoicing solutions.  One exhibit will have many pieces of art.  Actually when I add a piece of art to an exhibit, I would do it thru a picker window, then after you select the piece or pieces of art, they will populate on the exhibit's portal.

The same applies to the Artwork table.  Except that portal should only show which exhibits that particular piece of art was exhibited-also a one to many relationship.  If I wanted to add that artwork to an exhibit, I would have a picker window of exhibits, select proper exhibit.   This should do 2 things, capture the id of the exhibit, capture the id of the artwork, go to ArtworkExhibited layout, create a new record and populate both the foreign keys in that table.  That will in turn place this 'lineitem' in the portal on the Exhibit Table.  Which will in turn also populate the portal on the Artwork layout