5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 4:14 PM by philmodjunk

nice drop down menu

eloptiko

Title

nice drop down menu

hell, i was wondering if there is a way to create a dropdown menu in FMP 11 advanced that looks and feels like a CSS dropdown menu that mosyt websites use these days? i am new to FMP, but i am a web designer, so i am having trouble getting my head around how to create a nice looking and easy to use navigation for a database..

thanks

• 1. Re: nice drop down menu
          philmodjunk

Not sure what a "CSS dropdown menu" is. Can you describe what you are looking for in more detail?

• 2. Re: nice drop down menu
            eloptiko

ok.. so look up the top of the filemaker pro forum website, the main navigation bar is a typical css dropdown menu...

• 3. Re: nice drop down menu
              philmodjunk

If what you are looking for is a menu that drops down when you hover the mouse, or is wider than the field that is formatted with the drop down--that's the two distinct features I'm noticing--you're out of luck when working directly with filemaker as those aren't capabilities that are built into the filemaker application. You'll have to click or tab into them and the menu width will match the field width.

Of course you never know what a clever plug in developer might have come up with to enhance the basic filemaker...

• 4. Re: nice drop down menu
                eloptiko

thanks phil, is it possible to have a multi-level navigation  i.e have a drop down menu, then hove over an item, then have another level of navigation cme out>?? or would i have to use different layouts to achieve this?

• 5. Re: nice drop down menu
                  philmodjunk

Not quite but you can get close to that functionality.

You can set up conditional value lists where the value entered/selected in one field acts as a filter to reduce the number of values listed in another field's value list.

Selecting a company name from a company drop down, for example, could filter a list of names to just those contacts employed by that company...