2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 10:37 AM by jbrodgersky

No license key sent with preinstall, replacement media key not accepted

jbrodgersky

Title

No license key sent with preinstall, replacement media key not accepted

I purchased a MacBook with preinstalled FileMaker 11 license (academic version). The software is installed but there was nothing else in the box, so I don't have the license key and can't activate the install. After an hour on the phone with Mac ("are you sure you looked in the box?") they reluctantly agreed to send a replacement CD ("should be there in 2 days, but it might take up to 28 days. We can't help it, it's Filemaker's fault.") The replacement CD has a very short number printed on it (no other documentation whatsoever in the envelope, and believe me, I checked), which of course the preinstall doesn't accept as a license key. Tried to reinstall from the newly-received media but it still doesn't accept this obviously bogus license. The CD has a plain white label with a Apple logo on it, and the 10-digit number, but nothing else. Anybody have any other advice before I spend another afternoon on the phone arguing with Mac?

• 1. Re: No license key sent with preinstall, replacement media key not accepted
          philmodjunk

If the software is pre-installed, you should be able to just go ahead and launch FileMaker. There is nothing to activate. You only need a license key if you need to install FileMaker.

If you can indeed open filemaker, you can go to the Help menu and select About FileMaker | Info to see the license key. I'd write that number down and put it in a secure place, just in case I ever have to re-install the software.

If the software was not pre-installed, I'd contact FileMaker customer support by phone for their assistance.

• 2. Re: No license key sent with preinstall, replacement media key not accepted
            jbrodgersky

There is a FileMaker Pro 11 folder in Applications, containing the application. When I open it, I get a window that says I need to enter my name, user organization, and the license key. So I never get to open the program itself. I suspect whoever at Apple was supposed to install it just copied the files to the disc and never completed the installation.

FileMaker Support is only open from 9 to 5 and so I've missed another day to call them. Darn.