1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 3:11 PM by philmodjunk

No values defined...

ChristopherClark

Title

No values defined...

Hi everyone. I am pretty new to FileMaker etc.

I am modifying a solution that a fellow colleague created. They are not available at the moment to question so I thought I would try the Forum. 

In the first page of my "app or solution" I have 4 fields to be filled in. First is a stream name field it is a drop down menu that has all the possible streams one can choose from. The second field is a Stream code field, this field should automatically populate with a code that is respective to the stream that is chosen in the previous box. It worked fine when I got the solution from my colleague. He was working in a different area. So I found the table that contained the stream names and stream codes. I changed these values to reflect my research area. Now when I go to that first page, I go to select the stream name and it has a list of all of my streams, woohoo. But when I pick a stream it does not auto populate the stream code field like it did in its original form. Instead when I click on that second box for stream code it reads <no values defined>. 

I have looked through the values, and relationships, and it all looks like it should work. If I go to Manage value lists and select "StreamCode"  then go to specify field in the edit value list, I can see that under "Use values from first field" I have the correct table selected "ikp_Stream". Then in the box below this I have the correct record selected "streamCode". 

Then I have a radial button selected "Include only related values starting from" and I have a table called tbl_DCE. I think this is where I am confused and where the error lies. In the original version of this solution I would select a stream name. Then I would navigate to the tbl_DCE table and see a new record, with the stream name I choose, and then there would be a field with the correct Stream code. Well after I edited the stream names, and then tried the same thing, when I viewed the tbl_DCE table, it would have my stream name, but it would not have the streamcode. 

So I am thinking someone the stream codes are not being automatically placed into this tbl_DCE for some reason. And due to this and the way I have the value setup for StreamCode on page one, it cannot "grab" the stream code from tbl_DEC

If I go back to the Specify Fields for Value List for "StreamCode" and I select "Include all values" as opposed to "Include only related values starting from tbl_DCE" then I can actually hit the Streamcode field and all available codes are there and I can select one. But I really want this field to be autopopulated...

Any help?

• 1. Re: No values defined...
          philmodjunk

The check box option: "Include only related values starting from...."

Is used to limit the values shown in a value list to only those related to the current record in the found set of the Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? you selected from the "starting from" drop down.

Essntially, the table occurrence from which you selected the fields as sources of values in the top part of this dialog box and the "starting from" table occurrence you selected at the bottom identifies a relationship between two "boxes" (table occurrences) in your relationship graph that will be used to determine which values will appear in your value list.

Usually, the "starting from" table occurrence is the same as that which you selected for the layout (layout Setup|Show Records From) on which you will use the conditional value list.

Now, I don't see any reason why your value list should be a conditional value list here from the information posted thus far, but if you change the context in which your value list will be used by using it on a layout based on a different table occurrence, this will change how the relationship matches to related records and you might very easily get the "no values" result you report.

You might, as a test, clear this "include only related values.." check box so that your value list lists all possible values from the value table and see if that works for you as that would be the simplest "fix" here.

Here are some links on conditional value lists if you'd like to learn more:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The next to last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list and the very last link is a fairly new addition that describes how to use ExecuteSQL to produce conditional value lists that aren't easily possible with the other methods described here.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Using ExecuteSQL to produce a conditional value list: Using ExecuteSQL to Produce a Conditional Value List

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: No values defined...
            ChristopherClark

Thanks for the prompt reply.

"You might, as a test, clear this "include only related values.." check box so that your value list lists all possible values from the value table and see if that works for you as that would be the simplest "fix" here." Yes. This does work, I have done this. But, by going this route, the user will have to manually select the proper value (in this case it is a three letter acronym for a stream, called a StreamCode). Originally, when a user selected a Stream, this StreamCode field was automatically populated with the appropriate code. 

The only thing I did was change the names of the Streams, and the StreamCodes in the table ikp_Stream. Once I did this, the StreamCode box stopped being populated and when I click on the box (while in browse mode) it says <no values defined>.

I never changed anything in the Database relationships, so I am not sure why I am having this issue.

If it helps, I can make available the solutions or some screenshots...

• 3. Re: No values defined...
              philmodjunk

But, by going this route, the user will have to manually select the proper value (in this case it is a three letter acronym for a stream, called a StreamCode). Originally, when a user selected a Stream, this StreamCode field was automatically populated with the appropriate code.

That really has nothing to do with whether or not the "include" option is selected. Whether that option is or is not selected does not change whether you see a "name" type value or a "code". that's determined by setting in the upper part of the same dialog box.

Screen shots of your relationships and the dialog box where you specify fields for the value list may help clear this up. I suggest posting both as separate images in separate posts to this thread. (Some folks try to merge all the images into a single file and end up with something that is too low res to read when you zoom in to see the details...)

• 4. Re: No values defined...
                ChristopherClark

I made a short recording of my issue. Video with sound. Do you have an email I can send it to you? I thought this would be more efficient than posting images, as I am so new, I would probably have to post many pictures, and probably would post pictures that at first are not the correct images needed etc..

• 5. Re: No values defined...
                  ChristopherClark

If anyone thinks they can help, I can email a video I made of my solution, various tables, pages and relationships and errors etc. It is about 4 minutes long. 

Thanks

• 6. Re: No values defined...
                    ChristopherClark

Anyone? I really need some help. Still can not figure out the hiccup I am having. 

• 7. Re: No values defined...
                      philmodjunk

I don't see what your video will show that can't be shown with the screen shots that I have already requested.

To repeat: the include option will limit what values will be listed in the value list, it does not affect whether the values from field 1 are hidden or visible as those are controlled by other settings in the same dialog.

• 8. Re: No values defined...
                        ChristopherClark

Alright. I will work on getting some screen shots. I just thought a quick video would be more efficient. 

• 9. Re: No values defined...
                          ChristopherClark

Ok. Here are some pictures. The first two pictures are from the previous solution that worked fine. You have a page where you select the stream, and then a streamcode is automatically entered in the next field. 

• 10. Re: No values defined...
                            ChristopherClark

The next picture is of the Table that corresponds to the current DCE (data collection event) which is initiated when a stream is chosen. You can see that in this table, a new record is started that has the stream name and stream code entered already. 

• 11. Re: No values defined...
                              ChristopherClark

The next two photos show what happens in my edited version of the solution. I stream name is chosen, but a streamcode is not automatically populated in the next field. In the last picture you can see that my DCE table does not the streamcode either.

• 12. Re: No values defined...
                                ChristopherClark

and finally the DCE table 

• 13. Re: No values defined...
                                  ChristopherClark

Now here are the pictures of the relationships and value dialog box from the original working solution

• 14. Re: No values defined...
                                    ChristopherClark
                                    /files/2fda93e738/OldValueList.png 447x521
                                    1 2 Previous Next