2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 11:11 AM by DavidGroos

All records seem to be gone, but data there

DavidGroos

Title

All records seem to be gone, but data there

Hi, Many years ago I used FMP extensively, but changed jobs and now 10 years later I've bought fmp 12 and have converted some of my old files, first to v.7, then v.11 and now v.12. Actually, I'm still using the trial version as I'm waiting for my regular license (not advanced).

I was trying to figure out the 'relation graph' while defining relationships and I think I deleted all tables there, and added back the local table. But anyway, when I go to browse mode it shows that the database has no records (had some 350 before).  I know the data is still there since it shows up in tables that relate to it!

I've searched on line, tried recovering the file (it said there were no problems and said that it had those 350 records and 9 fields) but still when going to browse mode it said there are 0 records.  I'm stymied!  Any help would be greatly appreciate!  Sorry for using probably archaic fmp language!

Thanks,

David G

• 1. Re: NoFields
          philmodjunk

There are no tables on the relationship tab, only table occurrences. These are "labels" that refer to specific tables on your tables tab or, if using an external data source reference, in another table.

The good news is that deleting a table occurrence does not delete the table. Your data is still there. But each of your layouts refer to specific table occurrences as found when you open layout setup and check the "show records from" drop down.

To regain access to your tables, use the button at extreme bottom left of the relaitonships window to add a new occurrence and select the table from the list that pops up. Then either create a new layout that refers to this new table occurrence or update an existing layout to refer to it in Layout setup. If you choose the latter option, any fields on this layout will need to be double clicked while in layout mode to open specify fields so that you can select the new table occurrence in place of the old one that you deleted.

To learn more about table occurrences: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 2. Re: NoFields
            DavidGroos

Thanks PhilModJunk!  Not only was your answer correct, concise and complete, it was quick!  May you have smooth sailings...

David G