4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 7:06 AM by philmodjunk

Global Field? No Global Field?

Annette

Title

Global Field? Not Global Field?  .....

Ok, will do my best to explain this.

I have a table I'll call People.  It records names, Job Titles and the services that the person works in.  The services field is a repeating field, they can enter up to five different services that they work in.  So for me the services might be Service 1, Service 2, Service 3.

I have a table called Service Activity I've also created a fieild which I call Global Services.

On a layout,  which is a report, which is linked to service activity table, I want people to have the ability to populate a list of clients they see within any of their given services (Which are assigned to clients in another location on the database).   So I've created the layout, added the field Global Services and had it set as radio buttons using a value list made from the services field in the people table.  This way I can choose one of my three services, click a button and it generates the list depending on the service I selected.  The button works fine and the global services field is fine for me, or so I thought  but I went into it at a later time and when other users go to this layout in that global services box it says no values defined instead of listing their services.

I should also mention that when a person logs into the database it's creating $$variables of various information for them, including their account name, etc.

Do I need to create a script going to this report that is setting fields of any of the login variables in order for the global list to populate?  Maybe I'm over-thinking it??

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: NoFields
          philmodjunk

The services field is a repeating field, they can enter up to five different services that they work in.

That would be the first thing I'd change. A related table used in place of the repeating field will be a better design for your database. It's much more flexible than a repeating field.

On a layout,  which is a report, which is linked to service activity table, I want people to have the ability to populate a list of clients they see

How is that data structured? Is each record in service activity a single service event serving a single customer?

when other users go to this layout in that global services box it says no values defined instead of listing their services.

How is that value list defined?

• 2. Re: NoFields
            davidanders

Repeating fields = Death     November 21, 2010

http://fmlayoutmode.com/wp/?p=2020

• 3. Re: NoFields
              Annette

Hi,

The services while it is a repeating field is selecting options from a table I have called Service areas.  Each persons title has specific services they can provide, so based on their title the services repeated fields gives me choices in a drop down. 

Each record in service activity is a single service event for a single customer. 

I have created another instance of my People table and called it People Link to Service and this is related to the service activity table from the People ID in People table to the Global People ID in the Service Activity table.  The value list is looking at people link to service table and the services field.

Hope I've explained myself ok or at least understood your questions properly. 

• 4. Re: NoFields
                philmodjunk

And how is the value list defined?