1 Reply Latest reply on May 18, 2009 3:03 PM by TSGal

Nomenclature Tangled

mtpaper

Title

Nomenclature Tangled

Hello  

Please bear with me, as I am not a programmer, and I'm getting all bolixed up in terminology.

I am using FM ProAdvanced, and have many tables set up and joined.  That's fine.

I would like to have the data appear in lists at a site such as PBWorks or BackPack or ZohoWiki or Google Sites, to use as an intranet for my co-workers.

They would not be able to edit or add data.

I do want them to be able to sort and filter the data.

I don't understand whether I need a FM Server, or IWP or Custom Web Publishing.

I looked at Web Viewer Example.fp7, and that looks good, but I don't understand how to begin. 

I don't understand how to get from where I am, to where I want to be.

Thank you -

Marion 

PS - how can I access the file from the Web Viewer Example?  I want to see how the Matrix Report was made.  

• 1. Re: Nomenclature Tangled
          TSGal

mtpaper:

Thank you for your post.

Let's first start with the file(s) you want to display.  From the File menu, select "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing..."   Turn on Instant Web Publishing, and write down the IP Address (unless you already know it).  In the bottom left, select the file, and on the right side, set access to All Users (for now).

Next, go to another machine, launch a browser and enter:

http://<IP Address>

You will now get the Instant Web Publishing page where you can select the file and see how it looks.  Feel free to look around.  Don't worry about being able to edit everything right now.  When finished, click Log Out.

Return to the machine where FileMaker Pro is running, pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Accounts & Privileges..."   Check the "Guest" option, which only gives you Read Only access.  After clicking OK, return to the other machine, launch the browser and access the file.  This time, enter a Guest account.  Now, you can only view the data and not change it.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

Web Viewer Example.fp7 is a sample file, and you have full access to it.  Just open it in FileMaker Pro, look at the field definitions, layouts, etc.  I'm not familiar with the Matrix Report, but you should be able to find locate it as one of the layouts.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.