2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 9:47 AM by philmodjunk

Non-edit records after record is created

chucknall

Title

Non-edit records after record is created

I have several people off site that will be able to create new records to database.  There are many fields in a new records and typos are likely before proofing and correcting.  Mt need is to be to let this personnel group create records then select a complete button so that the records cannot be changed accept by an administrator.  I saw a form where there was a complete button that locked all those fields.  Is anyone familiar with what i would like to do?

Thank you, chukchuck

• 1. Re: Non-edit records after record is created
          ChristophKaufmann

Duplicate the table, make all the fields in the new table global. Make sure the new table always has only one record.

Let the users populate the global fields and use a script to check the values and import them into the data table. That way, your user won't need editing privileges in the data table.

• 2. Re: Non-edit records after record is created
            philmodjunk

You can also use Manage Security to control access to records on a record by record basis. If your "lock" expression in Manage Security includes a check on a Field your Complete button modifies to mark the record "complete", it will then limit editing privileges for that one record.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.