9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2010 10:40 AM by philmodjunk

Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?

RafalKwiatkowski

Title

Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?

Hello,

i have a small noob problem.

I wish to create a form for my vendors. Each box or list hase it's own field. The part of the form (in the layout view) should look like this example:

Painting1: <drop-down list> to <second drop-down list> price <edit box (number)>

Painting2: <drop-down list> to <second drop-down list> price <edit box (number)>

Painting3: <drop-down list> to <second drop-down list> price <edit box (number)>

Painting4: <drop-down list> to <second drop-down list> price <edit box (number)>

Painting5: <drop-down list> to <second drop-down list> price <edit box (number)>

Painting6: <drop-down list> to <second drop-down list> price <edit box (number)>

If my vendor #1 fill the form i will get f.e.:

Painting1: White to Black price 10

Painting2: White to Green price 12

Painting3: BLANK to BLANK price BLANK

Painting4: BLANK to BLANK price BLANK

Painting5: BLANK to BLANK price BLANK

Painting6: BLANK to BLANK price BLANK

If my second vendor fill the form i will get f.e.:

Painting1: White to Green price 12

Painting2: White to Black price 10

Painting3: BLANK to BLANK price BLANK

Painting4: BLANK to BLANK price BLANK

Painting5: BLANK to BLANK price BLANK

Painting6: BLANK to BLANK price BLANK

The problem is that if i search the database i write in the first line (Painting1) that i am looking for White to Black price ≤10 and i get only one result instead of two.

First of all, the price should be attributed to the colors combination not to line and second thing is that when i search for the color combination i should get results from all lines.

How to perform such thing? If my decription isn't clear please let me know.

Regards,

Rafal

• 1. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
          philmodjunk

Each row on your example should be a separate record, not separate fields that are part of the same record. Then your searches for a given description will find all such records as you will be searching the same field in every case. Since you will have multiple vendors suppling data, add one more field to identify the vendor so that you know which price comes from a given vendor.

You can display all or part of your prices with either a table or list view so that you can see multiple vendor prices at one time.

You'll also probably need a separate table of vendor information (company name, contact info fields, etc.) to link to this table of prices by a VendorId field.

• 2. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
            RafalKwiatkowski

I already have a table with vendor informations but i don't understand the thing about separate records...

I thought that every record is separate person.

Maybe You meant that Person #1 can provide me White to Green price 12 and White to Black price 10 but this person need to have two records in database: for White to Black price 10 record #1 and for White to Green price 12 record #2, right?

To be precise, i have translators and they are providing translations in at least two language pairs "mother tongue->foreign language" and "foreign language->mother tongue", but most of them translates in multiple language pairs. I need to have a database with their contact details (already done) and translations language pairs they are providing + the prices.

If i have to perform a quotation for a client i need to find all translations matching the language pair and then sort them using the prices.

• 3. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
              philmodjunk

"Maybe You meant that Person #1 can provide me White to Green price 12 and White to Black price 10 but this person need to have two records in database: for White to Black price 10 record #1 and for White to Green price 12 record #2, right?"

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. You shouldn't have multiple fields ( painting 1, painting2, painting3...) in the same record for the same information. That will greatly complicate anything you try to do with the data.

• 4. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
                RafalKwiatkowski

Thank You, got it.

I have another problem -  if i should write new topic just let me know.

How can i distribute complete empty form to "newbie" users for fill-up and get the file back and import it into database? The most optimal resolution is to get/prepare a website that after click "Submit" it ganerates a XML file which will be importable by FM PRO.

• 5. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
                  philmodjunk

Filemaker can import xml, so that can be done--though I haven't tried that personnaly.

Filemaker can import a number of file formats such as excel (.xls or .xlsx), tab, comma--so any of those that might get emailed to you from the web site could be used.

You could also publish your database to the web and they could enter the data directly into your database.

When it comes time to ask a new question, I'd say starting a new thread is a good idea if the new question doesn't require knowing what came before. Generally, a new thread will get more views from others (and they then might post an even better suggestion than I) where a long ongoing thread tends to result in just suggestions from the one person who's been helping you from the start.

• 6. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
                    RafalKwiatkowski

Ok, so i will start a new topic if i get a next problem :)

The "direct publish" will be a best solution but to do so i need a FM Server.

• 7. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
                      philmodjunk

Actually, you have other options.

You can publish with filemaker Pro via IWP and support up to 5 simultaneous users who have linked via their browsers.

You can hire a company to host the database for you. This elminates the purchase price and technical challenges of setting up server--so it's a reasonable alternative for many.

You can also use filemaker advanced to create a runtime of your databases ( or a simplified version just for this one use). Your vendors could download the runtime, fill in the information and then email the database file to you for importing into your central database. That's not as convenient as a web form and can create challenges for managing updates of your information, but might avoid the costs of publishing to the web.

• 8. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
                        RafalKwiatkowski

I can not use IWP because i have info that FM PRO server or another instance of FM PRO is using this application and that sharing is unavailable :(

What is runtime? I've looked after that term in the users guide but without any result.

Edit:

It's exactly (when opening app): "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using Filemaker Pro on this computer".

When i try to "On" the IWP: "Filemaker Pro cannot start IWP because Filemaker Server or another instance of Filemaker Pro is running on this machine." but i've checked the task manager and there is only one instance of this application.

• 9. Re: Noob question - creating a vendors pricelist?
                          philmodjunk

I can not use IWP because i have info that FM PRO server or another instance of FM PRO is using this application and that sharing is unavailable :(

That sound like a configuration or installation issue. You can post a description of the problem to the filemaker server forum (or here if you are trying to use filemaker pro to publish) or you may want to contact filemaker tech support directly.

Runtimes can only be created with filemaker pro advanced. With filemaker advanced you can "bind" a copy of your file to a "crippled" copy of the filemaker application that advanced creates during the binding process. This crippled application will only open the files you bind to it, the use can create new database designs and it can't share files over a network--plus a few other limitations.