8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 7:38 AM by daknecht

Not Found

daknecht

Title

Not Found

I recently purchased Filemaker 11 for my Office and I have FIlemaker 10 running in my lab.  When I try to open a database from my office that resides on the lab computer, I get a "not found" error and the file won't open.  It is set up run shared, and if the file is running in the lab, I can connect to it as Remote from my office.  What is going on?  

• 1. Re: Not Found
          philmodjunk

Well it sounds like it is functioning the way it's designed.

The file must be opened by filemaker on your lab computer before you can connect to it via open remote on another computer that has filemaker installed. Essentially, you connect to the filemaker application running on the host computer before opening an instance of the file on your client computer. If filemaker (or filemaker server) isn't running on the host computer, there's nothing to which your copy of filemaker on the client machine can connect to.

• 2. Re: Not Found
            daknecht

In any other program (including FIlemaker 6 that I was using up until today) you can open any file on any remote computer as long as you have the program on your local computer.  This is the first time I have ever had that not work on a Mac.   I can open the remote file by Open Remote on my office Mac as long as the file is open on the remote Mac.    If I copy the database file to my office computer, it opens fine.  

• 3. Re: Not Found
              philmodjunk

I think you are mistaken. Either that or we aren't talking about the same thing.

I've used filemaker since before version 3 and it has always worked this way.

Note that you can use file open to open a file on a remote volume if the volume is mounted and you have the necessary permissions, but this is not the recommended way to do this as you get slow performance at best and can get a corrupted file at worst. (If two users attempt to directly open the file at the same time.)

• 4. Re: Not Found
                daknecht

Note that you can use file open to open a file on a remote volume if the volume is mounted and you have the necessary permissions, but this is not the recommended way to do this as you get slow performance at best and can get a corrupted file at worst. (If two users attempt to directly open the file at the same time.)

That is exactly what I am trying to do: open the file on a remote volume that has sharing on using File/Open. This is how I have used Filemaker and many other programs for years without any problems.  I agree with a database it has the potential for corruption, but the databases are not accessed frequently and there have been zero problems in many years (>10) of use.  Speed is irrelevant, as it is used to look something up or make an entry a few times a week.  This should work!

• 5. Re: Not Found
                  philmodjunk

Ok,

How are you attempting to open the file? Recent items from the file menu or do you have two files and you are clicking a button in file 1 to run a script that opens a file in file 2?

I'm assuming the second option. While you have the first file open on your office computer, select Manage | External Data Sources.... Find the reference to the file on your shared volume and edit it to include a reference to this file that will work from your office computer. You can simply open the external data source for this file and clic Add File.

• 6. Re: Not Found
                    daknecht

Neither.  I am simply using File/Open on the office computer and navigating to the file on the remote computer, and selecting it.  No scripts or anything fancy.

• 7. Re: Not Found
                      philmodjunk

Is this a single file database or do you have multiple files that make up this system?

If you have more than one file linked to make up your database, you may have an external data source reference that works when you open the file on one computer but doesn't work when you open the file from the other. This would explain the "not found" message you are getting.

• 8. Re: Not Found
                        daknecht

SOLVED!    I had not converted the old version of the linked file to the new format.  I am not sure why it opened on the remote computer or opened locally without that link, but it now works opening through sharing after I converted the other file.  Thanks for the help- Dave