4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 12:00 PM by BillPlunkett

Not just conditional formatting - but object visibility

BillPlunkett

Title

Not just conditional formatting - but object visibility

I went all through the conditional formating options looking for a way to make an object visibile or invisible but couldn't find anything.  The attached screenshot shows what I need to do.  When a field for status = VOID I want to show the big red VOID label but otherwise I want it to be invisible and to not interfer with entering data in the fields underneath where it is displayed.

How do I do this?

Thanks so much for all the help this forum has been to someone just starting with FM, I came over from REALBasic.

thanks again,

bill

NFInvoiceSnapshot.jpg

• 1. Re: Not just conditional formatting - but object visibility
          philmodjunk

use conditional formatting to set the font size to 500.

Given the very large text size, this may not make the text fully disappear, but try this first as it is the simplest option.

If that doesn't work, you can go "old school" and make this work how we did before we had conditional formatting: Use a calcualtion field that is empty when the invoice is not void and that contains "void" when it is. make the field transparent and deny access to the field in Browse mode by clearing that check box in the Inspector's behavior settings.

• 2. Re: Not just conditional formatting - but object visibility
            BillPlunkett

You know, I absolutely LOVE FM for most things but everyonce in a while something that should be really simple gets complicated.  In REALBasic, and object had a property of "visible" whch could be set programatically.

My "old school" solution may be to set the font to 1 and the font color to the background color of the form and then change that with the conditional formating.

• 3. Re: Not just conditional formatting - but object visibility
              philmodjunk

A font size of 1 may still be visible.

A font color matching the background color won't always work if the back gound is not a solid color.

• 4. Re: Not just conditional formatting - but object visibility
                BillPlunkett

I tried it with a 1pt font and it leaves a very small dot.  I placed it in an inconspicuous place and it works fine.

This is acutally a very quick and dirty type app to be used probably for 3 days and then never to be seen again.  So a few rough edges are acceptable.  The main thing is I can print out a very nice looking receipt or it can be emailed on the spot like the Apple stores do things.

thanks for you help, this forum makes things a lot easier.

I'm a professional photographer and haven't really been considered a software professional for about 17-18 years.  But I twiddle with a few photography related apps.  My current brick-wall seems to be reading a SQLite database from a FM app.  I use Adobe Lightroom as my Digital Asset Manager and the catalog is just a SQLite database.  I have cracked the format and can read it with other apps - just not FileMaker.

Oh well, where there's a will there's a way.

thanks again,

b