3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2015 12:15 PM by raybaudi

Not seeing the text ruler

dsimonson

Title

Not seeing the text ruler

I am trying to position some tabs within a text field in layout mode.  The help says I should have View->Text Ruler. When I look, I only see View->Ruler, and if I select that it only toggles the rulers on the edge of the window. I remember having the text ruler (with tab positions and so on) show up in my fields at some point in my distant FileMaker past.  

What happened?  I am using Filemaker 14, but I also tried it in Filemaker 13 and it isn't showing up.

• 1. Re: Not seeing the text ruler
          raybaudi

"it only toggles the rulers on the edge of the window"

But then, if you insert the cursor into an editable field... :-)

• 2. Re: Not seeing the text ruler
            dsimonson

Aha!  That's the problem!  But oh no, I still have an issue! What I am trying to do is get a list to display horizontally.  So I got the list, then used the Substitute() function to substitute tab characters (Char(9)) for the paragraph returns.  Now I am displaying that in a field - but of course, the field is not editable since it is a calculated field.  How do I more precisely space them?

I can do it using the set tabs window, but it is not so interactive as being able to view the ruler in the field.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Not seeing the text ruler
              raybaudi

Change the field type from calculation to text with option of auto-enter the same calculation of your previous calc, but leaving the text unchanged when the field is active ; something like:

Case(
              Get ( ActiveFieldContent ) = Self ; Self ;
              your previous calc here
              )

Another way is to populate a normal text field with a script ( that handles the calculation )